Sign in to follow this  
nazistaffcar

GPS TRACKING

A mate of mine has developed a brilliant device which is unlike alot of similar devices on the market, it is totally interactive, uses both internet and mobile phone for contrlling has other real cool functions such as the ability for real time web broadcast both position and if you hook up a webcam, the ability to disable the vehicle( when it reachs 20km/h or lower), and real time tracking

speed direction and locality...good for you out there with teenage learning drivers (or a wayward husband/wife lol). It has 2 forms of aerial 1 external 1 internal(can't be cut off) and also uses mobile phone system......not only that but it is self sufficient

and can be moved from vehicle to vehicle without difficulty, good for those with more than 1 car that isn't driven often, or for datalogging your race car(has an SD memory slot..)

He has expressed interest in a major discount to club members as long as we get together a group purchase (well under $1000-ea) and will then supply to other members at the same price(as 1 off sales). I will post specs later, if there is enough interest.

snitch?

i really like it...good price too. put specs up, im sure a few on here would be keen...race cars etc

snitch?

That's the puppy, and there's alot of untapped potential that isn't advertised........control inputs and outputs that can be activated

Control inputs/outpus... should be abe to hook it into my dynatron then. Is the cellular GSM? ie do you buy your own sim and slot it in, or is it CDMA and have to get telecom to hook you up?

Control inputs/outpus... should be abe to hook it into my dynatron then. Is the cellular GSM? ie do you buy your own sim and slot it in, or is it CDMA and have to get telecom to hook you up?

Cellular is GSM..... real time data logging can be used for laptimes at your local fun park(ie Pukekohe), as well as cornering g forces, speeds and with connection to ecu revs temp oil pressure and fuel pressure.....just like a real race car, but cheaper....good to diagnose those pesky problems from the comfit of the pits, after the race at home(data stored on SD card) or if you're a pro racing pilot, your pitcrew while you're driving

I'm interested.

Be good if it had some kind of shocking device hooked up into the drivers seat, so when my teenagers go hooning in my car they get a shock, or if it's stolen you could give them a real belt!

Edited by Silver Fox

I'm interested.

Be good if it had some kind of shocking device hooked up into the drivers seat, so when my teenagers go hooning in my car they get a shock, or if it's stolen you could give them a real belt!

Quite easily done believe or not.....piggy back the coil output on your ecu, big flat coil(accel or msd blaster two)electrode on the seatbelt......whack, whack, in time with the ignition

Heres the list of functions....please remember this list is out dated, they have included alot of alarm functions such as window/ sunroof close, lights off etc....They have expressed interest in helping the guys who want dataloggers specifically depending on sneder units used etc, for those who are serious I will pm and talk $$$$$

24/7 GPS Real Time Vehicle Tracking

Snitch uses GPS (Global Positioning System) to locate the position, and track the movements of your vehicle in real time. Snitch logs the location and speed of your vehicle every 200 meters and every stop point. This data is sent to www.snitch.co.nz and displayed on snitch.co.nz's web based mapping software.

Real Time Tracking (RTT) is available in two options; Permanent or Temporary

If you choose Permanent RTT, Snitch continuously transmits your vehicle's location to www.snitch.co.nz using the internal GPRS modem. At any time, you can log onto My Snitch and view your vehicle's location and speed in Real Time, on a detailed map.

Temporary RTT is ideal for the casual user as no data is transferred to www.snitch.co.nz until the user activates RTT via a TXT message.

For current charges click here

Location TXT messages

Snitch is equipped with a Vodafone SIM card, so once installed you can use your mobile phone to locate your vehicle.

Snitch offers two options:

TXT the word "position" to your Snitch and you will receive a TXT message containing a Location Code (loccode) which can be entered at www.snitch.co.nz to display the position of your vehicle.

TXT the word "address" to your Snitch and you will receive a TXT message containing the complete street address of your vehicle's current location

For current charges click here

Vehicle moving notification

When Snitch is set to Alert mode, it will TXT you if your vehicle moves, e.g. if it is being stolen or towed away. See "User Selectable Modes" for more information on modes.

Accident notification

Snitch is equipped with a 3 Axis accelerometer and continuously monitors G force. If Snitch detects excessive G force this is considered an accident, and will TXT the Primary and/or Secondary mobile phone an accident notification message including loccode or address.

Vehicle speeding alert

If configured to, Snitch will TXT the Primary and/or Secondary mobile phone if your vehicle exceeds a preset speed limit. The default speed is 110kph.

Alarm activation notification

If interfaced with you car alarm, Snitch will TXT your mobile phone when your alarm is activated for more than 5 seconds. Snitch must be correctly interfaced, and will work with most alarms available.

User selectable modes

Snitch has three user selectable modes; these can be activated by sending Snitch a TXT message containing the name of the mode.

Available modes are:

Normal -

For every day use, Snitch will notify you of any conditions you have preset in the configuration

Alert -

For use when your vehicle is left in a high risk situation or unattended for long periods of time where there is a high possibility of theft. Snitch will TXT your mobile phone if your vehicle moves more than 4kph, in addition to the conditions preset in the configuration.

Valet -

For use if you are having your vehicle serviced, or similar situations where the vehicle will be moved but should not be driven at road speeds. Snitch will TXT your mobile phone if your vehicle moves more than 25kph, in addition to the conditions preset in the configuration.

Once the 'Alert' or 'Valet' notification TXT message has been sent, Snitch will automatically revert to Normal mode.

Primary and Secondary mobile phone notification

Notification and Alert TXT messages can also be sent to a second mobile phone. The secondary mobile phone can have limited access to selected functions. These settings can be modified at any time on www.snitch.co.nz.

Vehicle battery low or disconnected notification

Snitch can TXT you if your vehicle battery is running low or is disconnected

Multiple vehicle display

To aid in fleet vehicle tracking, multiple vehicles can be added to a Snitch account, allowing all of these vehicles to be displayed at once on the mapping software available on www.snitch.co.nz

Vehicle history and history reports

A mapped vehicle history is available online and reports of this history can be saved and printed. Reports include vehicle stopped addresses and duration making Snitch the perfect solution for sales rep and fleet management.

"Over the air" software upgrades

As GPS and mobile phone technology develops, so too does Snitch with "over the air" software updates. You can keep up to date with this technology without having to remove Snitch from your vehicle or link it to a computer.

Optional battery backup

Snitch can operate for up to three days on four high capacity AA batteries, for example Energizer or NiMH rechargeable batteries, if these are running low Snitch will advise you via TXT message.

No or low monthly fees

snitch.co.nz does not charge a compulsory monthly fee, you pay only for what you use.

The additional features look useful, but the website makes some rather "ballsy" claims regarding the unit's anti car theft capability.

Words implying that you WILL recover your stolen car, if fitted with the unit, is absolute BS. GPS tracker units require 3 elements to be in place, before they could guarentee this.

1: The Tracker unit has power.....what is the power consumption of the unit.....ie how long does the car's standard battery last once the unit with a vehicle is in storage....some of the other units I have investigated is lees than a week.

2: The Tracker unit can "see" some satelites....steel covered trailers....luton bodied trucks....garages block the units ability to see the satelites.

3: The tracker unit has cell phone coverage......Cellular Coverage, because of NZ's geography can be challenged.

I have a few friends in the alarm industry, and at least one of them wouldnt activately sell a GPS tracker as the "be all to end all" alarm system, as they are so easy to circumvent once the thieves know they are dealling with a tracking alarm system.

The early HSVs were candidates for some of the early systems, and one of the ways to get around the alarm was to steal the car directly from the covered carpark/garage the vehicle was parked and into a covered trailer. The car was then put into a rented garage ...generally close to where the car was originally stolen from, and left for a week or so to let the battery go flat, once the battery was flat then you are free to rip the tracker out (or it doesnt matter as the tracker couldnt report home because it had no power).

Best idea is to keep quiet about exactly what the security arrangements are on your vehicle.

As for the other features for the unit.....it looks rather cool.....what the unit really needs, is an additional output, so that over speed warnings......speed camera locations etc, can be displayed directly within the car, rather than sending to a cellphone.

over speed warning comes in at 140kmh.....cellphone goes off...you run off the road checking your messages....seems like a dumb idea to me.

1: The Tracker unit has power.....what is the power consumption of the unit.....ie how long does the car's standard battery last once the unit with a vehicle is in storage....some of the other units I have investigated is lees than a week.

2: The Tracker unit can "see" some satelites....steel covered trailers....luton bodied trucks....garages block the units ability to see the satelites.

3: The tracker unit has cell phone coverage......Cellular Coverage, because of NZ's geography can be challenged.

1.It's not the vehicle power source that is the issue but the snitch power source is good for approx 14 days

2.Seeing satellites is not an issue as the mob. phone can be tracked by vodafone although not as accurately

3.Coverage is constantly being up graded

I have a few friends in the alarm industry, and at least one of them wouldnt activately sell a GPS tracker as the "be all to end all" alarm system, as they are so easy to circumvent once the thieves know they are dealling with a tracking alarm system.

The early HSVs were candidates for some of the early systems, and one of the ways to get around the alarm was to steal the car directly from the covered carpark/garage the vehicle was parked and into a covered trailer. The car was then put into a rented garage ...generally close to where the car was originally stolen from, and left for a week or so to let the battery go flat, once the battery was flat then you are free to rip the tracker out (or it doesnt matter as the tracker couldnt report home because it had no power).

There is no end all be all for alarm systems this is though a pretty good step in the evolution-no? As for the HSV system it was an antiquated piece of scheisse before holden even installed it. Big manufacturers only release technology once they have already superceeded it....once again this example was a MASS produced part worth about $50- that only worked for the first year before crapping out, on brand new $60k-$80k vehicles that have a cult status for theft especially by the scummy element of society. I'm talking about protecting to the best of your abilities, and if your mates can't see the benefits of this product then fair enough. Two of that markets installers like the product and are fitting them in ever increasing numbers....Trust me at the moment it is probably the best product on the market when you total it's ability, the fact it doesn't need to be returned to a manufacturer to be upgraded,and is constantly being upgraded and the best 1 of all.....2 european car manufacturers want their hands on it!!!

over speed warning comes in at 140kmh.....cellphone goes off...you run off the road checking your messages....seems like a dumb idea to me.

answer

1.It's not the vehicle power source that is the issue but the snitch power source is good for approx 14 days

2.Seeing satellites is not an issue as the mob. phone can be tracked by vodafone although not as accurately

3.Coverage is constantly being up graded

While the snitch power supply can last 14 days, does this include when the unit is "hunting" for satelites (and cellular coverage)

As the cellular component is essentially a GPRS cellphone...there arent too many phones that will last 14 days without a recharge?

On of the current units on the market, battery drain is substantially increased when the unit cannot see either satelites and/or cellular coverage (typical of a car sitting in a garage), is that the case with the Snitch?

While Vodafone may be able to trianglate the cars location, is this service done automatically if the phone is activated, with no GPS co-ordinates? If it has to be manually invoked....the cars gone!

Vodafone coverage being upgraded......yeah right! I would suggest that you are right....their coverage is constantly being upgraded, but this doesnt mean that their coverage is actually being expanded. While the Auckland regional coverage may be ok, after 5 years of Vodafone supplied work handsets, I have seen virtually no improvement in the Wellington coverage in that time. I would suggest that in any other area other than CBD Auckland and perhaps Christchurch, within 30 minutes you could have the car in a no coverage area for Vodafone.

Dont get me wrong, I think the whole idea of a GPS Tracking Alarm System is a great idea, but for me to go out and splash the dosh, I want a system that I can fit and forget, that isnt going to drain my car's battery while its parked in my garage for a month or so at a time, and that when its required, the thing will work as intended.