Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ari Gold

LS powered RX7

Guest Spargo

http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/media.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1evurbadUCs&search=LS1

http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/Hinson06PGDtesting.wmv

The aluminum GM LS1 and LS6 engines are extremely light power plants. With the complete removal of the 13B and the sequential turbo assembly, the project car's final weight is less than the total gross vehicle weight of a stock Mazda RX7. The final weight of the car is listed below. The car weighed 2,831lbs with a full Touring interior, sunroof, complete Bose sound system including the "Sound Wave," and a 1/4 tank of gas.

The converted car handles and behaves the same as a factory car. The shop car is outfitted with aftermarket struts and front and rear sway bars for performance higher than that of the stock Mazda Touring suspension. Our customers should expect their vehicles to handle just as well as it did prior to the install.

Depending on the level of engine modification, our customers should expect even a stock LS1 conversion to perform better than a C5 Corvette Z06. All of this for less than 1/3 the cost. Most of our stock LS1 RX7s will run between an 11.9-12.5 second 1/4 mile pass. The range is based on track conditions and driver ability.

Our shop car has gone through a wide range of performance parts. Be sure to check out our media section for videos. We've built everything from 11 second daily drivers to our soon to hit the track 7 second monster.

We have gone through great measures to build custom pieces for the RX7. Our engine subsystems (cooling, fuel, hydraulics, etc) are built specificly for your model year, and the installation is very intuitive. However, we will provide instructions for parts that need explanation, and we are also available for phone and email technical support

The stock RX7 rear end is a very solid piece. The rear end is strong enough to handle the duties of daily driving, road racing, autoXs, and drag racing. However, a very high horsepower LS1 or TT 13B can break rear parts when launching on slicks, but this is a problem all drag racers face in any type of car. If you plan on running 9 or 10sec 1/4 mile passes, there are aftermarket setups available for installation to strengthen the rear. Call us for more information.

We broke the rear end in our shop car in the following order:

Mid-high 10s: Broke LSD and casing. Replaced with new KAAZ LSD.

Click KAAZ above for more information.

Low 10s: Broke factory axles. Replace with custom HSC 4130 chromoly axles.

Click axles above for more information.

The KAAZ and chromoly axles carried us in to the low nine second range. If you're interested in going faster, we can build your car up to NHRA 25.5 specifications or install a custom built solid axle rear end. Contact us for pricing.

Mmmmm... Sacrelicious

easy (with a pretty mild cam) 400hp at the wheels from those engines

Edited by petone

Mmmmm... Sacrelicious

easy (with a pretty mild cam) 400hp at the wheels from those engines

easier (no engine mods, all external) to get that from a 13bt.

rank, then again, u.s. domestic model fd's are probably a poor spec

and how long would that last between rebuilds? lag? grunt straight off the bottom?

Guest Spargo

One word: Reliability.

^baha. cracks me up. Anyone actually had any personal experience with modified 13bt? Or just going off hear-say. What a stupid idea.

One word: Reliability.

they're not using stock ls1s though, are they?

and how long would that last between rebuilds? lag? grunt straight off the bottom?

lag - I guess that depends on turbo setup etc, but it's probably hardly an issue. most people class lag as "when i dump the clutch at barely more than idle and it's not boosting"

reliability shouldn't really be too much of a problem. As always, comes down to tuning, treatment etc. same with an ls1, again.

also - it's untrue that rotaries have "no torque whatsoever" I had an FC, and it pulled v. well from 1700rpm. other rotary engines I've spent a fair amount of time around are also better than the stereotype leads you to believe.

but as I said - american specced 13bt = probably rancid detuned crap.

shoehorning an ls1 'saves weight', costs shitloads to do no doubt, and you have to f**k with the suspension setup to get back to similar to factory characteristics. I know what I'd rather

Guest Spargo

Speaking of rotaries in general, they are reliable as an auckland train. The Renesis, supposedly, the best rotary engine yet, has just been recalled - every single one worldwide. But you two already knew that, didn't you.

And your arguement of "stock for stock" is moot, seeing as you admit the 13bTT US spec engine is probably pretty lame. So, um, why not replace it with a stock LS1? Last time I checked, they were dropping over 350hp stock. You must have missed the bit where they say even a stock LS1 conversion will outrun a Z06. Don't think even the rotor fanboys would argue with that, hell they probably don't even know what the Z06's tailights look like.