Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

Dying leather.

Hey I've been tossing up what I'm going to do to the inside of my car.I got some pretty sweet looking black door cards off Gus and I figure if I got black door cards,may aswell get black seats.

I went to all the normal furniture shops around my area(harvey norman bla bla) and went to spot light and they had nothing either.Also did a good check on the net and couldn't find anything suitable.

I was told to go to a place and I went and they were closed so figured why not ask if anyone else knows how to do it.

I reckon it'll look sweet but will dye give it a good finish and will it last etc.

Any help,much apreciated.

Chur

Ashkan

Couldnt really call it dye, as its more like paint, Ive found that re-dyed leather usually once it gets some wear the 'dye' starts to come away. But that was on a couch I saw it, so it might be different on a car seat

At least you wouldnt have to worry about wearing jeans on your leather, i used to put towels down before i sat on my cream leather otherwise the blue would rub onto them, even if they were old jeans. Just take it to the tanners in ET they'll help you out.

Hmm,I went to a car upholsterer today and to get the seats resprayed (what I need) is going to cost me about $350 for all seats.So thought some more and figured I could probably get a set of black non leather seats from a wrecker.I'm not really a big fan of the leather lol

Thanks for the help

Hmm,I went to a car upholsterer today and to get the seats resprayed (what I need) is going to cost me about $350 for all seats.So thought some more and figured I could probably get a set of black non leather seats from a wrecker.I'm not really a big fan of the leather lol

Thanks for the help

I enquired at a wrecker once for leather seats, was quoted $1200 just for two front leather seats, not even sport ones, but that was for a E36

WOAH! lol for $1200 you could get mean reclinible leather recaros(say that 20 times as fast as you can!-I just tryed,it's not easy lol)

So I think I'm going to stick to that and save some money for a year or two(kidding ha ha h a) and get some nice buckets up front.

Chur

That leads me to my next question...

How universal are universal rails on bucket seats.ie would they bolt straight on or would you have to piss round with them?

Damien,how much you after for your sparcos?Will they fit straight into an E30?

Cheers man

Edited by blackbma

DO NOT RE-DYE LEATHER A DIFFERENT COLOUR! Vinyl OK, but not leather. With vinyl you treat it with Methyethylketone [M.E.K] so it soaks the dye right through. You can't do this with leather [it alway's flakes off] It's a NO NO!

I was a Motor Trimmer years ago

I've re-dyed leather- Dying leather is fine- as Kerry said just don't change the colour. Both front seats: "VHT Vinyl and Carpet Spray Dye" from Supercheap Auto (I think Repco does it). Worked a treat: used as a daily runner for 6 months after spraying and hardly any wear at all. at around $5 a can- 3 cans total for front seats - cheap and not too shabby option. BrentHartge535i posted some before and after pics of his black leather seat respray a while back- worth a look.

where did you get that quote from to get the seats repainted.

im looking at getting my leather seats repainted/ possibly have them a darker shade.

cheers

OK reread Kerry's post- so perhaps you can't dye leather - motor trimmer so you should certainly know.

But- as I said I've had no probs with this stuff (with proper pre spray prep and after care) Cher

Yeh I'm wanting to change the colour though.I want them black and they are a poo green colour at the moment so don;t want to fiddle round with it if its not going to be worth it aye

Hey Guys, Maybe I should move into the 21st century

I've used shoe polish & 'scuff stuff' to save leather sucessfully [not colourchange]

anyway I was given a website www.leatherique.com

they aparently can successfully recolour leather.if anyone wants to bring in some of their products I'm willing to offer my services [i'm quite curious]

I used some stuff called Liquid Leather on my steering wheel and gearknob - Liquid Leather

Worked really well, three stage process, cleaner -> colouring agent -> conditioner. This was about 2 years ago and it is still looking good (might give it another go sometime though).

Thought I had some before and after shots, but can't find them.

Liquid leather is the NUTS !

Get it and get on with it, you will not regret it. I think Gus had some trouble with it but that was because his seats had been sprayed.

If you have the original seats, it will work wonders. Give it time though, the seats in my 750 were shocking, hard, shiney, cracked and discoloured, but after 4 treatments of liquid leather cleaner and conditioner and a couple of dabs with the shoe polish (to fill in the major cracks) they were like excellent. It took 3 months but the end product was worth it.

Ive seen lots of 7's with recoloured, retrimmed, reconditioned leather and I would say there isnt anything you cant do anymore, aslong as your prepared to pay for it !

Check out From CarDomain.com about half way down page- turning blue to black leather- pretty good finish.

BrentHartge535i's handy work

Edited by arros

Ok,I went to the car upholsterer and he thinks that my seats have already been resprayed.So apparently,the products mentioned above won't work properly as they cant soak in or something like that.Is that right or is he just wanting my hard earned $$$.

Brenthartge's look sweet that's just what I was after.