Sign in to follow this  
Guest Andrew

No stereo - just iPod - thoughts

Guest Andrew

I'm looking a running no stereo - just an iPod into an amp into my front speakers? I have soundstream 6.5 with tweeters with passive xovers.

How would I hook it all up in terms of input into the AMP. (The iPod connector goes to the dock connector on the iPod and outputs stereo RCA and also connects to the battery for changing).

I'm looking a running no stereo - just an iPod into an amp into my front speakers? I have soundstream 6.5 with tweeters with passive xovers.

How would I hook it all up in terms of input into the AMP. (The iPod connector goes to the dock connector on the iPod and outputs stereo RCA and also connects to the battery for changing).

Your best bet is to go from the RCA Outputs into a Pre-amp then out of that into the Input on your amp. You don't need the pre-amp but it cleans up the very dirty Digital sound from the iPod. I had one made for $140 including it own voltage regulator/power supply. Don't ask me how it sounds as my Drug F#@KED mate still hasn't got around to giving it to me. Think I might go and break his legs if he doesn't hurry up.

But that is probably your best bet there Andrew. You could also just use your supplied with iPod 3.5mm jack to RCA lead and go straight into your Amp's inputs.

You could also just use your supplied with iPod 3.5mm jack to RCA lead and go straight into your Amp's inputs.

i'd simply do it this way, you can easily make up a 3.5 (or 2.5 as i though it was to 2 RCA) to be any length you like.

once you have power to your amp and your ipod plugged in and on, you'll have sound, the only thing you must do is wire the amp to the ignition so that it's not always on and flattening your battery! how to do this will depend on the set-up, the remote cable from the Head Unit normally signals the amp to turn on or off so how to do it with out the head unit i'm unsure.

correct me if i'm wrong please.

I don't know what the exact names of wires and stuff are but one day I was bored and decided to plug my electronic drum kit into my amp and see what would happen.I plugged the 12v invertor thing on my drum kit into a multi voltage cigarette lighter.I plugged the left and right stereo inputs from my drum module into the left and right stereo inputs on my amp.

For the power I just put a fused (20A) wire straight from the battery straight into the amp.

The sound honestly came out better in my car than it did through my practice 2x12 PA system setup in my rumpus.But it was a station wagon and had a 1000 watt 4 channel powering 1 Rockford Fosgate 12" and the front components.

I can do it again and take a picture if you like,but I am really not sure if the same thing will work for your Ipod.Maybe just a auxillery(sp?) from Ipod to a split L/R stereo inputs.

Hope that helps