Sign in to follow this  
Guest hizza bizza

what polish etc to use?

Guest hizza bizza

well I'm sure this has been asked before (if not maybe a sticky?) what product(s) would you guys recommend for restoring paintwork. My car dosen't have bad scratches but the bonnet, the roof and the boot lid are all faded (my car is red by the way). Just looking at this as a short term soluton as long term I'm going to get it resprayed, but yeah I need suggestions people ^_^

Guest hizza bizza

yeah had a look at that site, some of the before and after pics are pretty impressive, especially the one were it shows a pretty much white chair then they bust that stuff onto it and it comes up red. Almost seems alittle too good to be true for my liking, the sides of my car have been resprayed by a previous owner too so I wonder if you would still see much of a difference between the bonnet and the guards for example. I guess the moral of the story is just too keep saving for that respray.......mmm respray......

save yo money man..

but if anything the meguiars range would be the key.. seriously i can't stress this sh*t more.. it pwns me constantly

Guest Andrew

nyalic is apparently a bit dodgy - I asked about it at work, it mixes with some clearcoats wrong and causes it to peel off (look at Dave's car, eww) .

Nyalic ain't no polish.. or even really a wax either.

Meguiars range is where its at - Paint Cleaner the oxidation remover, then the polish, which should remove some more paint defects - then protect it all with wax. I like the crystal system.

scratchX is the shizzle.. and soon to be your best friend B)

There's an article in one of the UK BMW mags about restoring paint work. They used the 3 steps method and products from either Mother's or Meguiar's. Can't remember.

I used Mothers for a bit before chaning to Meguairs. Found that Meguairs broght out the metallic in the paint alot better than Mothers. I'd definately go for Meguairs over Mothers from the results I've seen on cosmos paint.

The one product from the mothers range I really do like is the Preserves Protectant. it makes plastics really nice and wet looking, and also removes the white wax stuff off black plastic, fantastic stuff :wub:

Guest hizza bizza

just been havin a look on the meguairs website, and it looks like I might be taking the day off work tomorrow and heading to repco to hook me up with some of their new colorX polish, god damn the results of this stuff look amazing. Just for good measure might get me some of the nxt tech wax too......

Guest hizza bizza

got up early this morning cleaned out the spare car bay in the garage, fixed the buggered roller door, swept out the bay - all in preperation for trying out this new meguiars stuff - went to repco to buy some, didn't have it, went to auto one, guy had never heard of meguairs(what a meat), even tried the warehouse as they carry meguiars product, but no luck there either.

Is this stuff even in the country yet?? :(

k mart is your friend... but ripco not having it? WTF

lol shows the "wealth of knowlege" they have.. f**ks

.. but ripco not having it? cks

Repco do stock the full range of MOTHERS & MEGUIARS products (I work there) .That particular branch might have been out of stock or you struck an uninterested salesperson. Edited by 37 South

Guest hizza bizza

37 South - yeah there did have a range of meguairs products there but not the ones I was after, couldn't see a price tag on the shelving either to indicate they had it. The two products I mentioned earlier are from the new 2004 range, so maybe it aint here yet.

*sic - we don't have a K Mart, and as I can't be arsed driving to tauranga to by polish and wax I might just have to go back to repco and see if any of there other stores can hook me up me thinks

Ask them to get it for you.

Edited by 37 South

knows its not polish...but im using bmw window cleaner at the mo...its really really good....keeps the windows clean for longer....got some bmw wax i will be using after next wash

Guest hizza bizza

Woo Hoo!, Just finished cleaning/polishing/waxing my car and it pawns haha

Well worth the 7 or so hours it took to do it, and the nearly $100 worth of product

haha its funny how you dont mind spending that time and cash for one day of a clean and shiney car... love it! B)