Sign in to follow this  
blk320i

reverse gear doesnt work

was looking at buying a automatic e30 off trademe, but the reverse gear doesnt work. the guy selling it said

"Doesnt engage properly, ok when cold but plays up when warm"

anyone know what could be wrong? this means it needs a new gear box? would it be safe to drive in its current condition? if it does need a recon or new gearbox how much would it set me back all up?

any answers would be great

Edited by blk320i

Have a look at one of the online manuals....this sounds to me like the one of the clutch packs in the auto is on its way out (or gone).

I'd phone your local Auto transmission speciallists, they could probably give you some idea of the problem and the likely cost to fix.

I would be guessing that it would probably be cheaper to find a used transmission, and since a few of the people on here have done the auto-manual conversions....you might find somebody has a good transmission they no longer require.....

was looking at buying a automatic e30 off trademe, but the reverse gear doesnt work. the guy selling it said

"Doesnt engage properly, ok when cold but plays up when warm"

anyone know what could be wrong? this means it needs a new gear box? would it be safe to drive in its current condition? if it does need a recon or new gearbox how much would it set me back all up?

any answers would be great

I have a working auto trans out of a pre f/l 325i still in car can been seen going etc, you remove and you can have it for $170

i have a good trans , if you need one $300

i need a box for a 318i m40 its a 4hp22 anyone got one pm me

oh and by the way ive been looking for people to fix my box and unless youve got approx 2300 to do it with then go second hand and if youre still not happy go manual but that puts you closer to the 2g mark dont bother with that car unless its really cheap its not worth it

hope that helps

thanx

i need a box for a 318i m40 its a 4hp22 anyone got one pm me

oh and by the way ive been looking for people to fix my box and unless youve got approx 2300 to do it with then go second hand and if youre still not happy go manual but that puts you closer to the 2g mark dont bother with that car unless its really cheap its not worth it

hope that helps

thanx

i have a good one only done 98k

call 021433600

from a 1990 318ia mint car .