Sign in to follow this  
lidistick

Removing cats and other questions

Hi guys,

1)Has anyone removed both cats on an E36 328i? I want to pull off both cats and replace them with some resonators. Not sure if I should also do the rear muffler at the same time or leave it. Would it be too loud to fit a test pipe instead of a reso? I want to keep the sound legal and get a little more roar at WOT.

2) Angel eyes. Are they brighter than stock? I know they are white but is the intensity of the beam stronger? I do a lot of night driving from Tauranga/Rotorua to Hamilton and backwards so going up/down the Kaimais in bugger all light would be unsafe.

3) Where do I find strut and sway bars in NZ?

Hi, I've taken the cats off an E38, no problems, straight pipes replaced, a little louder, but hardly noticeable.

So I shouldn't need to get a reso then? What about if I got a Remus muffler? They are pretty much a straight through design, so would i have issues later if I didn't get a reso?

Sorry for the multiple questions... just want to do it once and do it right.

Cheers.

I got my cats taken off last week at pitstop. :)

The left exhaust is smaller than the right... WHY? it was about 5mm difference in diameter and the pitstop guy thought that it was pretty weird.

Anyway, I couldn't be bothered with a reso and went with straight pipes. Sounds more mechanical and raspy but car feels more rev-happy and torquier at lower revs.

I got my cats taken off last week at pitstop. :)

The left exhaust is smaller than the right... WHY? it was about 5mm difference in diameter and the pitstop guy thought that it was pretty weird.

Anyway, I couldn't be bothered with a reso and went with straight pipes. Sounds more mechanical and raspy but car feels more rev-happy and torquier at lower revs.

How much were the replacement pipes for the E36? were these M3 size?

Just wondering whether to replace my cats on my M3 :D

2 pipes of mild steel at pitstop = $80 incl labour and GST.

I think the M3 size is slightly larger but it shouldn't be much more. I'd say do it as its cheap and very effective in terms of opening more HP. Car pulls a lot stronger at low revs and feels very very happy to go all the way to the redline.. much like a Honda. (*oops) :D

2 pipes of mild steel at pitstop = $80 incl labour and GST.

I think the M3 size is slightly larger but it shouldn't be much more. I'd say do it as its cheap and very effective in terms of opening more HP. Car pulls a lot stronger at low revs and feels very very happy to go all the way to the redline.. much like a Honda. (*oops) :D

cheers mate - any particular pits stop or do they all do it?

:D

Pipe sizes and spacing is very different

328 uses 48mm pipes M3 uses two by 63mm

M3 is 70% bigger in cross section (Area)

costs a bit more then?