Sign in to follow this  
buzzlightyear

starting issues

I had a dodgey ignition switch, pulled it apart and the bits went everywhere. so just wondering if anyone could shed any light at all on how to make it a push button with a switch for all the ACC. any help would be amazing.

http://www.bimmerdiy.com/diy/e36startbutton - for the ignition button , and youll have to get rid of the steering lock also shown down the bottom, this is all for an e36 so sorry if yours is not.

First take off the panels under the steering column. Look up at the ignition and you will see a bunch of wires coming off from where the cylinder is. You will need to tap into atleast three of these. There is a green wire that is the on position. A purple wire that is the accessory position. A yellow/black wire that is the starter wire. There is also a red wire which is the power wire. So basically what you want to do is to install two switches. One for the purple wire and one for the green wire, these switches are hooked up to relays that apply power from the red wire to these when the switches are on. Then you will need a push button hooked up to a relay that applies power to the starter wire when pressed. So basically you flip both switches press the button and your car is on. Flip off the switches to turn your car off

Next thing you need to do is drill out the steering column. After this your all done and don't need any keys.

Be sure to drill where the red box is... not where the 'practice holes' are

Posted Image

Edited by MADBMA

Removing the Ignition Barrel & key totally? Will that work on cars with EWS?

well no, i think its cars manufactured after 95 that have EWS, but the key doesnt have to be in the ignition for the chip in the key to be recognised just close to the sensor such as tape it to the underside of the steering colunm, im not actually to sure where the sensor is. i wouldnt recommend doing a completely keyless start, your removing every security measure that stops theft, i have a push button start in my car but wont go completely keyless.

i would recomend buying a new ignition barrel.

yea sorry should have stated its for a E30 lol its got like 10 wires aye i've found the acc one for the radio and the computer and the dash lights its got a ground wire do i just ground that anywhere?

yeah you can ground that anywhere you like aslong as its touching baremetal and has a solid ground.

i dont know the ignition system of an e30 very well but i know most of the guys on here do, well they should have manuals and what not most of them own e30s, you just need a wiring diagram of the ignition system to find the coulors then folow the sames steps as the e36.

ill have a look online see if i can find a wiring diagram for the e30.

Constant 12V+ - Red

Starter - Black/Yellow (black for autos)

on - Green

Acc - Purple

when you put power to each of thoes wires such as tapped from the red wire they should flick into life, hook up relays to thoes with the switch coming off the ground wire.

good luck.