Sign in to follow this  
M325is

Shockies

Ok, so its time for new shocks all round. Im not too clued up on the whole suspension thing with E30s. Before I go down to Suspentiontech id like to know what you guys think works best in your E30s, id like something that i can be comfortable using out on the track for open track days etc but also around the city streets. By the way, I own a 87 M325i on king springs (yellow), not sure what shocks are in there at the mo.

i love my H&R sports..would recommend them heartily over jamexes. unsure of king springs but i imagine they similar to jamex. they just understeer more.

bilsteins are great, as are konis. both 1k-1.3k mark respectively

try shox.com or turnermotorsport.com for US stuff...thats where my H&Rs came from

Can somebody explain to me the E30 suspension setup, Struts, Springs, Shocks, front and rear. I dont want to sound like a stupid female when I go into the shop, lol. I am a quick learner so dont go easy on me. Thanks

rear is a semi trailing arm assembly. front is a normal strut setup..what exactly you want to know?

Pictures are good! lol, best way for me to learn! Any pics on the front set-up? I just would like to know how everything is put together, genral knowledge on this sort of thing before you go to the shop is essential when your female, trust me, otherwise you come out with more then you need.

dont worry I found it, :D

Ok, so the part im confused about is the front struts. Are the shock absorbers part of the suspension struts and if so do you buy these as one or do you just buy the shock absorber part?

Sometimes its great being female because you can ask stupid questions and people wont think twice :D

post-256-1158834921_thumb.jpg

Just buy the shock absorber, it fits inside the suspension strut and is a separate piece. your suspension is a mix of the shock absorber and the springs, the springs provide the bounce and the shock absorber controls the bounce rebound, so they work in tandem.

Yeh i'll probably, most definately get threm done through my brothers rally sponsor and co-driver Chris Alexandra from Suspension Tech, keep prices down a bit. If you guys want check out his site, he has a few cool cars on there including my brothers ford and my other brothers rx7.

www.stech.co.nz

You may have seen him out on the weekend racing at puke in that thing, it hauls arse.

you should get rid of those kings aswell. esp if they are crappy variable constant ones. With a single constant spring.

Dont forget when changing the front shocks that you replace or top-up the oil in the strut. Thisl aids cooling of the shock, when it heats up.

Edited by bumpstop325

you should get rid of those kings aswell. esp if they are crappy variable constant ones. With a single constant spring.

Dont forget when changing the front shocks that you replace or top-up the oil in the strut. Thisl aids cooling of the shock, when it heats up.

except when using a decent shock like a bilstein or koni...as they are gas filled

Suspension Tech is pretty keen on putting Bilsteins in my car. Get it all looked at tomorrow. :)

Youre a Hard Man pedals!

Its really hard sorting out the chaff from the wheat when youre shopping around for this sort of stuff.

I ussually end up going with the guys who seems to be genuinely interested in what he is doing,not just some guy spouting a sales routine.

Give some real information here to sort out what is needed and how to get it .

You obviuosly have a lot of knowledge,dont just ridicule our choices.

Wow thats some great insight into the shocks!

Im going to trust Chris with Bilsteins, he knows his sh*t pretty well, he put them into my brothers rally car about 3yrs ago and they have had absolutely nooooooo problems with them, and trust me he isn't any nana driver hes continually battling first place. So if they can withstand that sort of driving for such a long period and still drive nice on targa rallies also Im pretty ok with him putting them into my car.

But your experiences with Koni they sound pretty awsome too!