Sign in to follow this  
m_reaney

M3 Rotors: Brembo vs OEM

Anyone know much about e36 M3 brakes?

I have been told that the my rotors will need replacing soon. Should I stick with OEM rotors or are Brembo a better option?

Cheers for your advice.

Anyone know much about e36 M3 brakes?

I have been told that the my rotors will need replacing soon. Should I stick with OEM rotors or are Brembo a better option?

Cheers for your advice.

OE rotors are good (it is a M3 afterall), esp. if you have the floating rotors.

The OE ones are soft though, they wear out quickly with harsh pads (thus the big mess on your wheels).

The Brembo's are good quality, not floating like the Euro M3 ones, and would prolly last a bit longer.

If it were Bremebo Vs Conventional OE rotors, I'd weigh it up on price, add the floating rotors I'd go with them if the cost wasn't horrendous and if you plan to use it on the track a bit.

OE rotors are good (it is a M3 afterall), esp. if you have the floating rotors.

The OE ones are soft though, they wear out quickly with harsh pads (thus the big mess on your wheels).

The Brembo's are good quality, not floating like the Euro M3 ones, and would prolly last a bit longer.

If it were Bremebo Vs Conventional OE rotors, I'd weigh it up on price, add the floating rotors I'd go with them if the cost wasn't horrendous and if you plan to use it on the track a bit.

Floating rotors? Please explain.

Floating rotors were OE on the Euro M3's (I presume the NZ ones were?).

They have a alloy centre and the cast iron rotor is mounted on pins to the alloy centre.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Floating Vs Conventional:

Posted Image

As opposed to the more conventional all iron rotor.

Posted Image

Edited by E30-323ti

Thanks for your help. I just had a quick look around the web and it seems that only the Evo's had the floating rotors - see link:

http://www.bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=15

I called a dealer the other day to enquire about rotors and pads. They quoted me $1500.00 for new front and rear M3 rotors and pads. Does that sound reasonable? Does anyone know what the Brembo equivalent would cost?

Thanks for your help. I just had a quick look around the web and it seems that only the Evo's had the floating rotors - see link:

http://www.bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=15

I called a dealer the other day to enquire about rotors and pads. They quoted me $1500.00 for new front and rear M3 rotors and pads. Does that sound reasonable? Does anyone know what the Brembo equivalent would cost?

$1500 my ar$e, rip off bast@rds!!!

I got both the 3.0l & 3.2l discs priced when I was doing my brake upgrades, off the top of my head the 3.0l ones were $240+gst ea and the 3.2l ones were $260+gst ea (FYI the E46 floaters were $500+gst ea, bit of a rip off for only 13mm more disc).

I think the brembo ones were ~$240ea mark.

Do a bit of shopping around, and don't bend over and pay for installation, get your hands dirty and become one with your machine.

$1500 my ar$e, rip off bast@rds!!!

I got both the 3.0l & 3.2l discs priced when I was doing my brake upgrades, off the top of my head the 3.0l ones were $240+gst ea and the 3.2l ones were $260+gst ea (FYI the E46 floaters were $500+gst ea, bit of a rip off for only 13mm more disc).

I think the brembo ones were ~$240ea mark.

Do a bit of shopping around, and don't bend over and pay for installation, get your hands dirty and become one with your machine.

$1500 was for 4 rotors and 4 sets of pads.

Marginally better.

I have E36 M3 rears, they were ~$140ea FYI

Don't think OE pads + install would $700, but could well be.

How long exactly do you have till you have to replace them?

I got 4 Brembo rotors + 4 Axxis/PBR Ultimates + 2 brake pad wear sensors for around $550 NZD, shipping included, from the US. Ask Vincent from www.bimmerzone.com. From what I understand there is no difference between Brembo and OEM (unless you go for Euro floating rotors which Brembo doesn't seem to manufacture), because Brembo makes them to OEM specs.

The shipping was $100 USD alone, it was the cheapest form of shipping too, USPS said 6 weeks but it took about 9 :angry: If you want faster shipping, it will cost you a pretty penny, close to $300 USD.

You can see how much you'll save, if you can wait a while, then you should just import them. $1500 is just ridiculous. My car is an E36 320i but the M3 brakes have similar pricing IIRC. I actually got a quote from shops in NZ, I was planning to go with EBC Red pads, but they cost way too much. I replaced them myself too which saved me even more money :D Btw, if you care about the rotors looking crap from rust in the future, once you get the new ones, give the centres and the edges a coat of high temp paint and you'll be thankful in the future!

Don't think OE pads + install would $700, but could well be.

If that's true, I'll do it for $600 :lol:

Floating Rotors are fixed for rotational torque,but float laterally between the pads [brake clamping loads usually centralize them] the advantage of floating Rotors or Calipers is the elimination of Pad Knock-off caused by loads under heavy cornering [eg hub flex or bearing float] If you're ever experienced Pad Knock-Off you'll know what I mean[The Pedal goes to the floor, taking up the clearances]

Rotors for an STI are $150 for a pair...

It doesn't take much to stop a skateboard! They don't have 300mm+ rotors, nor do they stop as well.

Guest Spargo

It doesn't take much to stop a skateboard! They don't have 300mm+ rotors, nor do they stop as well.

Goes to prove that multipiston brembo bling = not always better.

http://www.racebrakes.co.nz/

Call Steve at Race brakes.

My Brembo rear rotors were about $700 incl GST off memory.

I got Racebrakes to quote me prices on my brakes, and importing them from the US was still quite a bit cheaper. Though if you can't wait that long for them to get here, then they could be an option.

Valid points. I'm sure I could have got them cheaper. However, I'm all about economy of effort. I got McMillans to fit the Mintex pads and rotors for me too.

I don't even wash my own dog, so you don't think I was going to work on my brakes myself do you?

At least buying it here in NZ, I can get follow up support if required.

How long exactly do you have till you have to replace them?

I got 4 Brembo rotors + 4 Axxis/PBR Ultimates + 2 brake pad wear sensors for around $550 NZD, shipping included, from the US. Ask Vincent from www.bimmerzone.com. From what I understand there is no difference between Brembo and OEM (unless you go for Euro floating rotors which Brembo doesn't seem to manufacture), because Brembo makes them to OEM specs.

The shipping was $100 USD alone, it was the cheapest form of shipping too, USPS said 6 weeks but it took about 9 :angry: If you want faster shipping, it will cost you a pretty penny, close to $300 USD.

You can see how much you'll save, if you can wait a while, then you should just import them. $1500 is just ridiculous. My car is an E36 320i but the M3 brakes have similar pricing IIRC. I actually got a quote from shops in NZ, I was planning to go with EBC Red pads, but they cost way too much. I replaced them myself too which saved me even more money :D Btw, if you care about the rotors looking crap from rust in the future, once you get the new ones, give the centres and the edges a coat of high temp paint and you'll be thankful in the future!

If that's true, I'll do it for $600 :lol:

Thanks for all your help.

With regard to time, I was told around 3-4 months ago that they were thin and to expect to see the brake pad light up in the dash pretty soon.....it has not appeared thus far.

I have looked at getting dics/pads from the UK and other places, but ultimately I am keen to use OEM parts, thus I think I will get a dealer to do the lot when the time comes. It will undoubtedly cost more, but its what they do, and I know it will be done well.

Mearly giving some context to the costs being quoted.

Drive one. You'll like it :wub:

Valid points. I'm sure I could have got them cheaper. However, I'm all about economy of effort. I got McMillans to fit the Mintex pads and rotors for me too.

I don't even wash my own dog, so you don't think I was going to work on my brakes myself do you?

At least buying it here in NZ, I can get follow up support if required.

Fair enough :) I prefer to work on the car myself. Having said that it was pretty easy. Hardest part was compressing the brakes!

Thanks for all your help.

With regard to time, I was told around 3-4 months ago that they were thin and to expect to see the brake pad light up in the dash pretty soon.....it has not appeared thus far.

I have looked at getting dics/pads from the UK and other places, but ultimately I am keen to use OEM parts, thus I think I will get a dealer to do the lot when the time comes. It will undoubtedly cost more, but its what they do, and I know it will be done well.

No worries :) Ok, so you're pretty much in the same situation as I was. I was told the brakes were wearing thin at a WOF. About 3000-4000kms later, the brake pad wear light came on. Even after that I waited about 1000+km before I found the time to do the brakes. I was expecting it to be pretty much grinding on metal, but there was still about 3mm of pad material left! The rear pads still had plenty so I have not installed them.

Bimmerzone sells mainly OEM parts, so they will be able to supply you with them if you require. I believe they will be cheaper than the PBR pads I got too, I only got them because everyone on Bimmerforums loves them for the track, and I wanted to give them a go. I feel they're about the same as stock pads in terms of performance and also dust, maybe I don't drive the car hard enough.

About the dealer doing the job correctly... just my point of view here, they do not. With the dealer, you're getting overcharged for a less than decent job. I bought the Bentley manual and torque wrenches so I can I do it the right way. But with the dealer you get so many cars coming in each day, and I really doubt they will torque everything down for you. It's just a car to them after all, but it's YOUR car. When I was replacing my radiator, I asked the dealer if they sold distilled water so I could mix it with the BMW coolant.

"No we don't sell it. What do you need it for?"

"To mix with the coolant. Don't you guys use it?"

"We just use tap water"

And in 50,000ks, when your cooling system fails prematurely, you send it back to the dealer and pay them to fix their own mistake :lol:

In the end, sure you're more than likely to get an OK job, the brakes won't fall apart or anything due to overtorquing, but for what you pay, sometimes an independent will do a better job than they do. Still, I'd get a quote for labour and parts separately, chuck it on the forums and see what everyone thinks :)

Edited by Yuen

i think you should take a look at what the dba rotors have to offer i put a set on my m3 and it made a noticeable difference

About the dealer doing the job correctly... just my point of view here, they do not. With the dealer, you're getting overcharged for a less than decent job. I bought the Bentley manual and torque wrenches so I can I do it the right way. But with the dealer you get so many cars coming in each day, and I really doubt they will torque everything down for you. It's just a car to them after all, but it's YOUR car. When I was replacing my radiator, I asked the dealer if they sold distilled water so I could mix it with the BMW coolant.

In the end, sure you're more than likely to get an OK job, the brakes won't fall apart or anything due to overtorquing, but for what you pay, sometimes an independent will do a better job than they do. Still, I'd get a quote for labour and parts separately, chuck it on the forums and see what everyone thinks :)

I hear what you are saying. I have had some good and bad experiences with dealers. Not long after getting the M3 my DME got flooded. From memory I was left with a bill over $500. I have an AutoSure Warranty but it did not cover this.

Basically, because BMW put the DME in an incredibly stupid place (under left side of windscreen) and used drainage pipes that were far to thin and prone to blocking, I was liable. Hence, I no longer use this dealer. How can they expect you to be loyal when they charge you a rediculous amount of money for simply removing the DME - letting it dry then putting it back in. With this said, it still amazes me how dealers like the one in question get pissed when you buy your next car from another BMW dealer.

On the other side of the coin, I approached another BMW dealer who is very willing to accomodate, including a sat morning service if booked atleast 2 weeks in advance. They also offer free pick up and drop off (of your vehicle). From memory the last dealership that serviced my car could only offer a courtesy van every half hour....thats average!

Back to the original topic. Thanks for all your advice on the rotors and pads etc...I am having a service soon, and plan to ask a lot more questions thanks to your knowledge input. Cheers.

I hear what you are saying. I have had some good and bad experiences with dealers. Not long after getting the M3 my DME got flooded. From memory I was left with a bill over $500. I have an AutoSure Warranty but it did not cover this.

Basically, because BMW put the DME in an incredibly stupid place (under left side of windscreen) and used drainage pipes that were far to thin and prone to blocking, I was liable. Hence, I no longer use this dealer. How can they expect you to be loyal when they charge you a rediculous amount of money for simply removing the DME - letting it dry then putting it back in. With this said, it still amazes me how dealers like the one in question get pissed when you buy your next car from another BMW dealer.

On the other side of the coin, I approached another BMW dealer who is very willing to accomodate, including a sat morning service if booked atleast 2 weeks in advance. They also offer free pick up and drop off (of your vehicle). From memory the last dealership that serviced my car could only offer a courtesy van every half hour....thats average!

Back to the original topic. Thanks for all your advice on the rotors and pads etc...I am having a service soon, and plan to ask a lot more questions thanks to your knowledge input. Cheers.

You're welcome. And let us know how it goes! May I ask which dealer you're using now? If you're in Auckland it'll be useful info for me.