Sign in to follow this  
lankster

My 1987 320i, with questions

I bought this last week and being my first bimmer I'm very much a noob, :D. I was just wondering a few things:

What does the 'check' signal on the dash mean? what am I supposed to check?

Whats with the sunroof visor thinggy? I havn't seen it on any other 320i's. Also the grill things on the headlights, do you think I should remove them or maybe paint them black or white?

Does anyone know where I can get some centre caps for those wheels, they're Hartge but not sure of the model number.

The body kit is mtech 1 right?

Any things I should take care of, change oil other fluids etc? Apparently it was just sitting for a few month before I bought it.

Any questions comments welcome B)

Nice site btw, very helpful.

post-1395-1159337824_thumb.jpg

post-1395-1159338986_thumb.jpg

post-1395-1159339003_thumb.jpg

post-1395-1159339021_thumb.jpg

post-1395-1159338930_thumb.jpg

post-1395-1159338951_thumb.jpg

yeah mate, mtech1 with a zender spoiler/lip, the light grills - ive never seen before maybe take them off!!

the check thing seems to always flash saying brake lights, until you press the brakes or press check, its handy when it tells you your oil is down. and i dont know about you cente caps man, they are pretty rare..

Hey bro pretty much same questions I had when I got mine.Welcome

As above for the check light thing. As for the headlight guards its really up to you as to whether you keep them on or off. If you dont like them but still feel you would like to protect your lights from stone chips etc, you can buy from Repco some stone guard -its a bit like really heavy cover seal but if you are careful with your cuts you can do all headlights and the 2 foglights and unless you look really hard you wont know its there. Just make sure you have your lights on for a bit to heat the glass begore applying.

I would change all the fluids - oil, coolant, trans fluid (if its any colour other than red) and maybe the brake fluid as well. While you are at it check your air filter and if required change only with original equip BMW (same goes for the oil filter).

Get yourself a workshop manual for the car and enjoy.

yeah mate, mtech1 with a zender spoiler/lip, the light grills - ive never seen before maybe take them off!!

the check thing seems to always flash saying brake lights, until you press the brakes or press check, its handy when it tells you your oil is down. and i dont know about you cente caps man, they are pretty rare..

Thanks, yeah I think I'll take the headlight grills off, they're pretty rusty anyway.

If anyone knows of any places in Dunedin that have E30 parts that would be great, I need a left taillight and some interior fittings. Also any advice on the best places to get it serviced down here?

Cheers for the help and welcomes guys!!

Edited by lankster

timing belt bro the belt wud be worn n become hard by now....ready to snap when u hitt the gas...save you from doin a head recon.dont wanna bend those valves....i learnd the hard way..

haha yeah the timing belt - the most important thing eh!! Unless you have a receipt that it was done recently, get it done as well as any tensioners in there.

What fittings are you looking for?

Looks like I'll be getting the timing belt done in the next few days. :D

I'm looking for a window winder, a door handle surround and the holder thing for the front passenger door (you can see it's missing in one of the pics). Thats all I can think of at the mo, but I'm sure there's more.

Looks like I'll be getting the timing belt done in the next few days. :D

I'm looking for a window winder, a door handle surround and the holder thing for the front passenger door (you can see it's missing in one of the pics). Thats all I can think of at the mo, but I'm sure there's more.

I may have a surround for the door handle for you. I will have a look in the weekend if you like.

If not, I'm 90% sure I have a blue one lying around you can have. I'll look after the weekend when I get back. maybe PM me to remind me.