will this fit into my 1992 e36 320i?

will i need to modity much?

what else will i need?

how much might it end up costing?

is it all even worth doing?

is this person asking a decent price?

thanks heaps!!

This gearbox will fit.....

You will have to modify the mounts and crossmember and shift selector rod as the your m50 engine sit's on 10 degrees more slant than the m20 that gearbox is off of.

You will also need to drill some holes in the base of the bell housing .. pedal box..hydralic cylinders slave and master..... clutch flywheel...bearings... centre console etc.

Mate the list goes on.

My advice would be to keep your auto or sell it and buy a allready manual e36 325i.

Edited by MrHamWallet

I was going to make a thread a few days back but will use this one :)

Looking at doing my first manual conversion and was wondering...

who makes the best bang for buck clutch kits ?

heard good things about sachs and LuK but I realyl dont know myself. Any idea on prices.

This gearbox will fit.....

You will have to modify the mounts and crossmember and shift selector rod as the your m50 engine sit's on 10 degrees more slant than the m20 that gearbox is off of.

You will also need to drill some holes in the base of the bell housing .. pedal box..hydralic cylinders slave and master..... clutch flywheel...bearings... centre console etc.

Mate the list goes on.

My advice would be to keep your auto or sell it and buy a allready manual e36 325i.

I've just done a E36 Manual Conversion the rear mounts on both G/boxes are similar. What you need is a E36 Manual Rear Crossmember[they are already tilted over]

I held the Backing plate up to both boxes [identical bolt pattern]

You need a E36 Clutch pedal [you cut down the brake pedal] & Master cylinder, you can still use the auto pedal box [have a look ,the clutch pivot is still there]

Use the M20 flywheel/clutch assembly it is better than the E36 dual mass crap

You use the E36 centre console,you replace the auto shifter with a shift-lever gaiter [it just clicks in]

Note: all the holes for clutch lines,floor shifter etc are already there [nothing is needed to be fabricated]

using the Getrag there will be driveshaft & shifter issues though [it's only mechanical so it's easy to overcome]the Getrag has a 0.82 fifth so a diff swap isn't needed [a ZF has 1:1 fifth] a 4.10 diff with a getrag=3.37 diff with a ZF

If you go thru with this conversion you will be very happy with the results [it'll wake up your E36]

Cheers Kerry.......[syncrosmash rules]

hey guys thanks heaps for the advice its greatly appreciated, and kerry since youve done this before do you have any idea how much its going to cost me? and is this guy asking the right price?

i have no problem admitting i have absolutly no idea what im on about so if my questions sound silly or stupid, please just bere with me!! lol

I was going to make a thread a few days back but will use this one :)

Looking at doing my first manual conversion and was wondering...

who makes the best bang for buck clutch kits ?

heard good things about sachs and LuK but I realyl dont know myself. Any idea on prices.

Give auto clutch Nz a ring. That's who I got my clutch and flywheel setup from.. Very good price and super tough clutch..

hey guys thanks heaps for the advice its greatly appreciated, and kerry since youve done this before do you have any idea how much its going to cost me? and is this guy asking the right price?

i have no problem admitting i have absolutly no idea what im on about so if my questions sound silly or stupid, please just bere with me!! lol

I did mine the cheap way!

I bought a whole E36 328 manual with a blown head gasket,by the time I sold the leather,my auto,the auto diff, the rolling body,& various Misc bits it ended up costing buggar all.[you need the $$$ to buy the donor car]I still have a 2.8 M52

I am certainly glad I had 2 cars to swap parts between, it made things easier

Hey mate! no questions are silly [assuming you know everything..............maybe!]

The swap is easy,there was no fabrication needed. there are some minor wiring issues. You'll also need a set of TORX sockets

I'd also like to thank some of the members of Bimmersport for their advice/help [i'm new to Beemers] And hopefully I can pass on some help myself [& humor]

I did mine the cheap way!

I bought a whole E36 328 manual with a blown head gasket,by the time I sold the leather,my auto,the auto diff, the rolling body,& various Misc bits it ended up costing buggar all.[you need the $$$ to buy the donor car]I still have a 2.8 M52

I am certainly glad I had 2 cars to swap parts between, it made things easier

Hey mate! no questions are silly [assuming you know everything..............maybe!]

The swap is easy,there was no fabrication needed. there are some minor wiring issues. You'll also need a set of TORX sockets

I'd also like to thank some of the members of Bimmersport for their advice/help [i'm new to Beemers] And hopefully I can pass on some help myself [& humor]

yeah your right it would be good if i had a donor car, theres a few other things i could change then.

thanks for the help!