Sign in to follow this  
320SHKBTE

My angel eyes broke :(

One of my eyes are down so it looks like im winking :blink: now they are like mini fluros, when i plug it in the reciver box gets really hot really fast on that side, it kinda goes on but reallly dim...help...

Edited by 320SHKBTE

Hmmm...

Check the following in this order:

Carefully inspect the cable to the bulb.

I think these lights are high-voltage discharge lights (HID), so you want to check for any breaks, cuts, or anything the looks bad on the high-voltage cable. That's the one with the thick insulation. If the high-voltage is arcing across to soemthing them that'll cause trouble.

If the cable is clean, undamaged, and looks to be in good condition then try swapping the control units left and right (label them first) to see if you have a bad control unit or bad HID bulb.

I suspectt he control unit, as I think the HID would be more reliable.

If you have aftermarket units, go to the suplier for a spare bulb / control unit

If you have genuine BMW units, then you know where to get spares ... :-)

Good luck!

Jochen (I also replaced my headlights yesterday, but I stuck with good old halogen bulbs, standard BMW)

they are not a xenon light (which uses a voltage converter or ballast) to charge the xenon gas.

If its the same as mine itll be the DDE (angle eyes)

If with the key on they are on but still dimly lit, I would check the ground point. The best way to do this honestly, is to look where it is, if it is something thats obviously perfect (like say the hoist point on the engine, bare metal that is obviously grounded) you might be fine, but sometimes you get on a painted section and the bolt doesn't make good conduction or shifts etc.

It wont be the relay, as they either f**k out or dont.

Do you have small black boxes with two wires in from the relay and four wires out to the DDE ?

But yeah earth points.

yea i got a ground and a power going tinot a box then out to the 2 angels, one on each side, and the box gets really hot, is grounded on the factory ground so thats fine, could it be shorting somewhere? funny thing is is its only one light on one side, so the box cant be completly screwed cos its still running one of the angels

can you open your box ? or is it sealed

:huh: .....Was sealed, opened it up and this is what happend...

Checked it all out nothing seemed damaged, i have now relised that both leads going to each angel eye are working, BUT for some reason when i connect them both it makes a buzzing noise and one go's off!

A couple of shocks later and some swearing and kicking i gave up :blink: Anyone???

:huh: .....Was sealed, opened it up and this is what happend...

Checked it all out nothing seemed damaged, i have now relised that both leads going to each angel eye are working, BUT for some reason when i connect them both it makes a buzzing noise and one go's off!

A couple of shocks later and some swearing and kicking i gave up :blink: Anyone???

take some photos .. post them up ... maybe johen could help ?