Sign in to follow this  
Guest reckless

turbo tips

Guest reckless

yeah hey finally a bmw site in the mighty nz. yeah i want some info on building a turbo mainifold for my 325i. and any other info any one can give me on turboing my beast. :D

Guest Speedye30

Hate to be the wet blanket, but I don't know how well the m20 (let alone an old m20) responds to the stress of forced induction. Granted it is sortof strong... If I liked boost, (and wasn't so poor) I'd get an engine which already has a turbo like an sr20det.

Having said that here is a pic of a modded 325i convertible with a custom turbo setup. Good for ~275hp, nice!

Posted Image

good to see another WGTN person here.

What type of manifold are you after!?!?

I'd recomend a "log" style manifold for 2 reasons:

1. Ease of construction, thus cheap (esp if you are doing it yourself)

2. Doesn't take up heaps of space, remember the steering column is on that side of the engine bay!!

Have you got the turbo, ECU, fuel system sorted??

Guest Andrew

Speedye30 - they hold up well to boost even after so many ks. Mine has had a rebuild and i'm going to try run 10 lbs perhaps 12 if all goes well. There are lots of old m20s out there turbo.

The "log" manifold is very cheap around 300 - 400 depending who you go to. Go to the same person for all your tubing needs. Just get a machine shop to make up the plate which mounts to the exhaust ports. I think you may lose a little power with such a basic manifold design - but hey the blower is there to make up for that ;)

Guest Spargo

www.proturbo.fi

www.bavariacars.com.au

also, see www.r3vlimited.com for a couple of members there with turbo M20's.

This is a ProTurbo.fi manifold adaptor:

Edited by CiLK WuRM

Hate to be the wet blanket, but I don't know how well the m20 (let alone an old m20) responds to the stress of forced induction. Granted it is sortof strong... If I liked boost, (and wasn't so poor) I'd get an engine which already has a turbo like an sr20det.

Having said that here is a pic of a modded 325i convertible with a custom turbo setup. Good for ~275hp, nice!

Posted Image

go the supercharger! blow off valves are overrated anyway...

overrated?

yea if you use them as a skank whistle they are, they are needed for the live of the turbo... B)

Guest Andrew

Sam, they make a nice manifold - but it ain't really worth it.. so pricey.. when you can have the cheap manifold here.

Guest reckless

hey guys this is great i am just tossing up weather to go n/a or turbo. cos i love my beamer and dont really wanna sell it but i want some thing with a bit of wow factor, and im a bit of a speed freak, B)

Guest reckless

andrew the pic of the log manifold is that just a modified factory one? and ive read some where that i could use a standard ecu?

i wouldnt recomment using the standard ecu.. not worth the hassle.. do it once do it right.

i agree with sic...no point in running standard ignition as boost possiblities would be very limited....better to go to a link or similar unit......speed freak? imagine how fast a turbo 325 would be.....from what andrews been telling me......180kw@10psi.....:D

Guest Andrew

andrew the pic of the log manifold is that just a modified factory one? and ive read some where that i could use a standard ecu?

No - thats a completely different manifold (obviously). I think you might be thinking of the 2 into 1 adaptor - which is also an option.

Is your car are a "real" M325 - i.e does it have the high compression pistons - this might upset your turbo project somewhat.

If you have Motronic - you can use the stock ECU - but you won't make big power. The ECU just doesn't learn fast enough. Its much better to have tuneability anyhow.

There are a few 180kW 325i turbos out there - although reading some more i'm quite sure this is a flywheel estimate.

I'm aiming for 120kW at the wheels on low boost - we'll see what the motor can later this year.

Guest Andrew

What about gearboxes, would a stock E36 5 speed auto or a sotck E30 auto turn to slush when turboing or supercharging?

Don't know about the slushbox - but the Getrag 260 is good for at least 350 - 400 hp based on some cars running that.

Guest reckless

andrew roughly how much $ did you turb your wagon for? and can you suggest any one to fabricate the manifold?

i might have to check to see if is a genuine 325i it was nz new so i think it wus have every thing else bar the msport motor(bmw are pretty new to me im still learning) i decided to up grade for japanese. you cant beat euro engineering.

Don't know about the slushbox - but the Getrag 260 is good for at least 350 - 400 hp based on some cars running that.

Thats what I like to hear, I'm starting to smell the signs of a project car come next year.

Guest Andrew

andrew roughly how much $ did you turb your wagon for? and can you suggest any one to fabricate the manifold?

i might have to check to see if is a genuine 325i it was nz new so i think it wus have every thing else bar the msport motor(bmw are pretty new to me im still learning) i decided to up grade for japanese. you cant beat euro engineering.

Turbo isn't done yet -

the plan is and rough costs install Link ECU (in about 3 months) for $2000 - 2500 - this will remove stupid L-Jet and allow tuneability + remove the AFM.

Then .. turbo from a SR-20-DET (I think T28) i'm still unsure on the turbo - expecting to pay anywhere up to a grand for that.

Manifold - 300 - 400

Piping - depends who does it

Intercool 2nd hand - up to 500

Misc costs - 500 (connectors blah blah beer for helpers)

I'll be in welly for the ECU install - and maybe the turbo install also - so you can have a looksie then.

Guest reckless

true that would be cool, the pic of the manifold you posted was that a forged one? or just a one fabricated out of pipe?

Guest Andrew

true that would be cool, the pic of the manifold you posted was that a forged one? or just a one fabricated out of pipe?

Its a bunch of tubes welded together - easy to make (if you can weld)