Sign in to follow this  
hybrid

e46 jap radio to international head unit conversion

Well quite a few months ago I read the thread Jochen wrote about changing your standard e46 head unit into from Japan frequencies to the more common 87 - 10x.x FM frequencies. After a quick visit to Jochen's house we soon realised that this was a Japanese (Alpine build) radio that was quartz locked to jap frequencies.

He sold me (very cheaply I might add) an international / US (Philips built) e46 head unit. Looked mostly the same apart from a few buttons on the front.

My main concern with this was my denson ICE:LINK CD changer replacement ... Which is a unit that allows my ipod to take the place of my CD Stacker! :) (no more CD's in the car) Would this unit work or not ?!? We were about to find out.

Tools needed for the install

1 x cloth / clean rag

1 x Philips head screw driver

1 x med / large flat blade screw driver

Lets start by looking into the differences between the two units.

Alpine built Jap e46 head unit (Front).

Posted Image

Alpine built Jap e46 head unit (Rear).

Posted Image

Philips built International / US e46 head unit (Front).

Posted Image

Philips built International / US e46 head unit (Rear).

Posted Image

You can see the differences between the two ... The Philips supports RDS (Radio transmitted track and station text) but the removal of the CD buttons and instead a "Mode" button.

To start the installation... I recommend adjusting the height of the passenger seat .. else you'll end up with a sore back trying to lean forward all the time.

Start by removing the dash trim ... to do this .. wrap your flat blade screwdriver in your rag / cloth as not to damage your dash or trim (always do this). Place it under the left hand side by the passenger door. carefully lifting the trim.. it may take a little force but just be gentle. (see below)

Posted Image

Posted Image

And then remove the center console dash trim by using the same method

Posted Image

After this, grab your Philips head screw driver and un-screw each side of the head unit

Posted Image

Pull the head unit out slowly making sure not to scratch / scrape the aircon console below with the metal head unit.

Now comes the fun part with the cables ... its actually really easy .. just make sure you have key turned off .. and if you really feel inclined your car battery disconnected.

Slide the flat blade screw driver into the release clip .. and wiggle it up until the clip slides up-wards, you should be able to move it up with your fingers after loosening it with the flat blade. The large plug on the rear will just pop out with a small tug.

Posted Image

Pull off the main and auxiliary arial plugs and remove the head unit.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Grab the international head-unit and plug in plugs the same way the came off, remember to slide the clip back on and make sure its secure.

Make sure your head unit loom bunch back into the dash properly else you’ll find it impossible to get the new head unit in.

Basically replace everything back in reverse order you took it out.

I tested the head unit before I replaced all the trim just to make double sure. I also tested the in car ipod ICE:Link system ... and it was fully functional with CD ( mp3) text included :)

RDS text :D (ZM :( heh )

Posted Image

iPod CD Text (Cyantific in da house :D )

Posted Image

iPod CD Text (Cyantific in da house :D )

Posted Image

My old Jap coin tray removed and my ipod and dension ICE:LINK Plus installed (did this early this year)

Posted Image

Hi Josh - good to see the MP3 text appeared properly - bet you were chuffed.

That was the only part I wasn't 100% confident about, so I'm glad it all worked perfectly.

Enjoy your radio :-)

Jochen

Brilliant write up....just what we could do with more of on this site.

It doesnt matter how simple it appears getting stuff like this up helps everyone.

Well done chaps.

Where have the pics gone? hybrid did you shift them off your website, as they all give 404 now.