Sign in to follow this  
WarNox

e36 VIN Numbers

I was just wondering if its just my stupid car or all NZ cars that have this. When a bmw comes out of the factory it should get a 15 digit vin number, usualy starting with W...., and then the last 7 digits will be your chassis number. On my car, I cannot find the original VIN number anywhere, just the chassis number and the NZ VIN number (of which the last 7 digits aren't even my chassis number).

I rang team McMillan and they don't have it in their system either (they found this interesting), they only have my chassis number. When i look in my engine bay, under the windshield, i only have my chassis number written there too.

Is this strange or normal?

thanks in advance.

I was just wondering if its just my stupid car or all NZ cars that have this. When a bmw comes out of the factory it should get a 15 digit vin number, usualy starting with W...., and then the last 7 digits will be your chassis number. On my car, I cannot find the original VIN number anywhere, just the chassis number and the NZ VIN number (of which the last 7 digits aren't even my chassis number).

I rang team McMillan and they don't have it in their system either (they found this interesting), they only have my chassis number. When i look in my engine bay, under the windshield, i only have my chassis number written there too.

thanks in advance.

That's odd, mine's a 1992 (built August 91) E36 320i, and the entire VIN is on the firewall in the engine bay, under the windshield.

Both of my E36s had the factory VIN just under the windshield on the drivers side. Not actually on the firewall, more on the frame. IIRC.

well it's from south africa, if that makes a difference?

i've got the 7digit number, but i want the whole thing.

i've found a list of locations on the car that the number is ment to be engraved and all are in really hard to reach places. and the ones that are not are not there. i guess the mystery remains...

well it's from south africa, if that makes a difference?

i've got the 7digit number, but i want the whole thing.

i've found a list of locations on the car that the number is ment to be engraved and all are in really hard to reach places. and the ones that are not are not there. i guess the mystery remains...

On a South African E36 the vin number is stamped in the cowl panel [by the wipers] there is a little cut-out in the plastic panel to view it. There is also a Body Tag on the inner guard by the brake booster [jumper + connection]

On Jap E36's this tag only has 5 digits on a SA E36 it should have the full vin# and engine#

Most other E36s have a Decal as a Body tag ,as well as the stamping in the cowl

Mine has a sticker on the drivers side shock tower and a stamping on the cowl ,between the brake booster and the winscreen.

NZ new.

well i have a sticker on the drivers side shock tower, a metal one with the NZ vin number.

and i do have that cutout by the windscreen wipers but it only has the 7 digits in it. not 15.

what do u mean by the brake booster? drivers side inner guard? i've looked under there before, but have not seen anything.

well i have a sticker on the drivers side shock tower, a metal one with the NZ vin number.

and i do have that cutout by the windscreen wipers but it only has the 7 digits in it. not 15.

what do u mean by the brake booster? drivers side inner guard? i've looked under there before, but have not seen anything.

Yours only has 7 digits? IE: XX12345?

If so, that's really all you need to get parts. Ie: www.realoem.com

EDIT: I guess if you really meant digits (no alphabets) then that won't work.

Edited by Yuen

The Inner Guard goes from the firewall [brake booster] all the way to the headlight, It's back by the Booster [on the drivers side if its RHD] Usually by the Jump-start terminal

thanks in advance.

Maybe your car is a cheap Thailand knock off. Na just joking. I pick up my M3 tomorrow from the wharf (left hooker) so will have a look where mine is for you. If I don't post it means I have nothing new to report.

Good luck with your search.