Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Clutch Line

The flexible line that goes into the slave cylinder - has a female fitting that goes on the metal line from the master and a male fitting on the end of a short peice of metal line crimped to the flexible line at the slave cylinder end.

I'm having one made up but need to know how long it should be as I don't have the box mounted to measure myself - thought someone might know or could quickly measure.

Also does anyone see any problem with it being totally flexible line with the male slave fitting on the end instead of having the short bit of metal line into the slave?

Mine has about 230mm of flex line, and 80mm metal line. If you're going for all flex line I'd make it a little longer, say 350, to allow for the bend off the fitting on the slave. I guess the metal piece keeps the flex line off the body, doesn't seem to hit anywhere. With all flex line I wouldn't be surprised if it rubbed on the body because of the way it has to go, may cause problems?

Mine has about 230mm of flex line, and 80mm metal line. If you're going for all flex line I'd make it a little longer, say 350, to allow for the bend off the fitting on the slave. I guess the metal piece keeps the flex line off the body, doesn't seem to hit anywhere. With all flex line I wouldn't be surprised if it rubbed on the body because of the way it has to go, may cause problems?

I would be making longer than 350mm. The radius of the bend required would be to tight for the flexi to bend without skinking. Why do you need to remake it?, why not just buy a new one from BMW and be done with it cost is $230 ex Germany.

You can also reuse the steel tube from your one and get a new fitting and flare put on the end (to replace the crimp) and then get a flexi made up that has both ends the same as the original non crimped end. Any Hydrolic guy could do it. This will make things easier in the long run and shouldn't cost to much.

Actually, any hydraulic or brake guys could make you up a piece of metal tube that would do the job if you don't have the original. Get a screw fitting on the end and pipe it from that. Only needs to be about 100m long with a 90 degree turn about 20 mm from the slave, then out 40mm, then another 90 degree down 40mm. Should end up looking like a Z nail. Then get your hose made up to fit, about 250 long I guess. See it here, part 20. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=21&fg=10

Edited by Silver Fox

Also does anyone see any problem with it being totally flexible line with the male slave fitting on the end instead of having the short bit of metal line into the slave?

On my old Lotus Cortina, I had a brake hose from the clutch Master Cyl to the slave [it was LHD so both were on the same side of the vehicle]

On brakes [because of huge pressures] the shorter the better

Why do you need to remake it?, why not just buy a new one from BMW and be done with it cost is $230 ex Germany.

Because I don't actually have one (doing manual conv.) and because I'm sure I could get one made for less than $230. I had already priced them.

Thanks for the other replies - should be able to get something made up.

When I did my conversion, I had to get the solid line made up that goes from the master to the slave, local garage did it, same fittings as brake line, cost about $30 from memory. Should be able to get it made easily, doesn't have to be exactly the same, you've got a bit of room to play with, important bit is the first bend off the slave itself, needs to be fairly tight to miss the box.