Sign in to follow this  
Jedski

1988 BMW 535iM

Hey guys thought the 535 guys could shed some light on this for me. I test drove a car today that I'm seriously considering buying, but i was sitting in traffic this morning (not moving on upper harbour drive) for about 20-25 mins and the car started to overheat? I know it a big engine but should this occur? the compression test came back positive 100% on 4 cylinders 99 on one and 97 on the other from JC BMW.

Any info is much appreciated and just yell out if you need more info from me

chercher

Whoops forgot that i did not have the heater or faa/c on the whole time and its a manual. And i was leaving big gaps in traffic before it overheated then pulled off and virtually coasted in 4th down Greenhithe hill and than 500m it has back at normal heat?

probably a buggered visco fan..very common on e30's, i imagine the same for 5's. e34?

relatively easy job..brand new around 240 from dealer? cheaper elsewhere

I'm sure Kiwi535 will be able to offer assistance on that. But my E34 never gets above 1/2 on the temperature scale. Even when I get stuck in similar traffic on the waterfront.

I'm sure Kiwi535 will be able to offer assistance on that. But my E34 never gets above 1/2 on the temperature scale. Even when I get stuck in similar traffic on the waterfront.

Cheers, what size engine is your?

Give it a full radiator clean ,

It sounds marginal thats why the temp goes up & down with engine load [the compressions seem OK ish, depending on what figure" PSI" is your 100%]

Before you Buy it:

Have you run the engine "hot" [thermostat open] with the Radiator cap off,to check for bubbles? [cylinder pressure leakage]

Also was the Radiator full ,when you test drove it? If you had to add water [where has it gone?]

These old Boats [no insult intended Cain,Haha!]should idle all day long in "death Valley"

Must have, I didnt check that today. BMW did note 'signs of coolant sepage and top radiator hose should be replaced. Could this be an effect?

Also the guy claimed he had flushed it before putting it in and I very much believe him.

Also again: would BMW notice this in their appraisal?

Must have, I didnt check that today. BMW did note 'signs of coolant sepage and top radiator hose should be replaced. Could this be an effect?

Also the guy claimed he had flushed it before putting it in and I very much believe him.

Also again: would BMW notice this in their appraisal?

They should do, during their appraisal.

Also depends on how it was flushed [with a garden hose?] a full radiator clean requires removing the tanks

If the seller had it 'flushed' before, I'd say he's had an overheating problem.

as long as the Engine is Mechanically sound [gasket/head etc] these problems can be worked out.

One thing I forgot to ask. What was the condition of the radiator like [eg; cooling fins]

I'd be checking the car out for a blown headgasket or another cooling issue.

Our 535 manual, runs at the halfway mark regardless of whether its sitting idling in traffic, towing a 2 ton trailer or running at normal road speeds.

That includes sitting in traffic taking 2.5 hours to get to Waikanae from Wellington at XMAS running the air-con on full the entire way.

The vicous fan might be a red herring as the air con radiator fan would also cool the engine

You might also want to check the header tank cap....there was a recall on these, I assume the car you are looking at is an English one, so it may not have had the cap replaced?

sorry I'm pretty noob, is the visco fan the one on the radiator? and yes I believe it is an English import.

Whats the header tank cap. Expensive ? Long term issues ?

I can only echo what Daryll has just said. All e34's and e32's should sit at exactly 12 o'clock on the temp gauge regardless of what they are doing.

If it doesnt then there is something wrong.

I would also expect a BMW check to be able to tell you whats wrong too, they are after all supposed to the be experts ;)

Hi.

I had the same thing happen to my 89 535 except I was in Brighton, England and stuck in traffic there. I had just bought the car and was driving it around before heading to France. Went to BMW in Brighton and they said it was radiator problem and fitted a new one plus thermostat. Went across in the tunnel and when I got to Paris, the same thing happened again when stuck in traffic and was I pissed off !!! Found a BMW shop in Paris and with broken french explained the problem. The mechanic took a rag and, with the motor running, stopped the cooling fan with no effort. He smiled and said the clutch in the fan had worn and would need to be replaced. Basically the fan was slipping when stationery and not enough air was being pulled thru to cool down the radiator. When you are driving the air is naturally pulled thru so the problem is not noticeable.

Had the car for 3 more years then exported the car to NZ and never had the problem again :)

Hope this helps :)

Ron

the worst case scenario is many many dollars,the best case is flush and new thermostat,and may be a new fan.The check for the visco fan is simple.if you have been sitiing at idle for any time whatsoever or stop start traffic the visco fan will lock up(as is supposed to happen)wind down the window and as you acellerate away (obviuosly requires freer moving traffic) the 5 will sound like a small truck.I concur,with the other s my 535 NEVER shows the temp higher than 12 oclock.

The visco fan is the many bladed fan immediately behind the radiator,it should spin easily when the car is cold but starts to lock up as the radiator gets hotter,there is another fan in front of the radator which will come on when the a/c is turned on and or (ithink) when the temp reaches a certain level.Apart from these cooling sytem issues the M30 six is a very very strong engine.When you have got it sorted renew the coolant every two years with the correct coolant(low phospahate low nitrates)

PROUD owner anyway, i fell in love with it this morning. glad i have daily car until things are sorted. i will photos once ive given it a cut and polish

PROUD owner anyway, i fell in love with it this morning. glad i have daily car until things are sorted. i will photos once ive given it a cut and polish

good luck , very good cars i have had 3 of these, and a few e28 's 535i as well .

it will just be the fan clutch , very common .

i have lots of bit for these if you need one .

021433600 .

also have one of these cars for asle as well .

88 535i 5spd , grey , black leather reacaro's 17' , lowerd etc etc