Sign in to follow this  
lilme

E36 alarm

i noticed a couple of people in the 'theiving scum' topic mentioned that their alarms were sensitive and went off all the time. mine is such a pain in the butt, i goes off all the time, in the middle of the night and all!! and from what i can gather there never seems to be a reason for it going off. can anyone enlighten me on this, is it common of E36 alarms or is it just time for a new one??

yep... one reason i found out was that the door window "actuators" for the coupe, [dont know about sedan' acts up a bit. meaning that the window moves down slightly and activates the alarm.

on my one it was due to a worn down swtich in the door hinge.. i replaced it now and all is well

hey sweet thanks,

how would i check those two things to see if it is either of the two causing my problems, also the little button fell out of my alarm remote, any ideas what i can put in its place?

does any one know if its worth getting a new remote for my standard alarm or will i be better off getting a whole new alarm system??

next time its going off, go around your car a push the doors in, if the window moves up itll be your door/window acuator thingie, mine did it one night, just kept going off every 5 minutes, it was driving me nuts, but figured out it was the acuator thing so it was an easy fix.

the door actuators just in the door well half way up, mine was worn down quite a bit, but i still havent got around to getting a new one, i just ended wrapping quite a few layers of eletrical tape in there to boost up the contact surface area, havent had a porblem with it since.