Sign in to follow this  
nz320i

urgent need a shifter holder for e30

Hey

Just got a b&m short shift kit , went to install it and found my e30 cant take it with the (older?) shift holder, the bit that holds the bushed for the universal joint...

the are two kinds and im after the aluminum one i think, its the one without the foam stuff??

Help please i would love to install my new short shifter!!

you mightnt be able to swap..depends on the back of the gearbox casing, very few had the ability to fit both

how can i tell? mine is held in by two allen keys maybe 6 or 8mm?? otherwise i may just sell the shifter....dammit!!

can i get a shorter throw any other way

gearbox is getrag 260 from a 88 320i

read the article on the main page...works for both consoles

not on my shifter as the ball bit has to be higher so the bottom pivot stays at the same hieght,( so i dont think i can just fit this one into the exsisting universal bushes) so the blue bit needs to be put in im sure of it, therefore needing this other type of shifter, i could probably butcher my one i have now and make it fit but ya know its a lot nicer having the right bits..

anyone got the part ?

post-643-1161941882_thumb.jpg

Edited by nz320i

cant see from pic but the blue thing might be removable..you could take it off and use the stock mounting console..that blue thing just looks like it replaces the plastic bush in the aluminium console

yeah ive already tred, but what im saying is i think the universal joint has to be higher then the factory to keep the bottom pivot in the same place cos when i put it in my factory mounting its was lower when you get under the car and look

All fixed!

absolutely butchered it but it works fine, i got rid of the blue bit and grinded down the nylon one piece bush inside it and wholaa it fits!

I cannot belive how short it is though i think z3 might be a better option as the throw is wicked but the shift knob is barley above my console haha.

Cheers i can post pics if anyone wants/or is looking at buying one- $90 off trade me! bargin for a b&m copy !!

Edited by nz320i