Sign in to follow this  
liam

Motronic to Motronic 1.1

:confused: Im in a bit of a dilema! I recently bought a manual conversion kit for my 1987 325i. Ive fitted the gearbox and everything but theres no holes in the gearbox for the motronic sensors! Im wondering if anyone has any ideas on this? Im thinking of changing the engine management system to the later motronic (pulse sensor on the front crank shaft pulley). I dont really want to pull out the gearbox again :( any help would be appreciated

Sounds like you've got the facelift gearbox, Therefore you will have to change the position of the crank shaft sensor to the front.

A friend of mine had the same issues

Edited by MrHamWallet

Sounds like you've got the facelift gearbox, Therefore you will have to change the position of the crank shaft sensor to the front.

A friend of mine had the same issues

Do you know if your friend had to change the whole ecu and loom? or did he just fit a different pulley and locate the existing sensors to the front?

Whole ecu and loom

heya, thats right, just to confirm...

you do need a p f/l gearbox with sensors in the bellhousing... if you swap the front crank damper to the one with timing wheel then you will need to swap out whole loom and ecu.

heya, thats right, just to confirm...

you do need a p f/l gearbox with sensors in the bellhousing... if you swap the front crank damper to the one with timing wheel then you will need to swap out whole loom and ecu.

Thanks fellas for the info. Ill keep you posted of the progress hopefully in the next week.

Well I finally got my wheels up and running. Sorry about the delay updating. Its been a week since Ive finished and Its been worth the wait. I ended up going for plan B in the end because I couldnt locate any parts to carry out the engine management swap! So I adapted the gearbox to take the existing sensors and fitted a refrence mark on the flywheel. Started up first turn ! Driving sweet too :) I was quiet interested to see if the ecu and loom swap would have worked though ....