Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

Blackened

Did a quick search and couldn't find it so here we go.

To blacken out the kidney grill what do I use?..Was thinking satin spraypaint and obviously sand it a lil to make it adhere and I think I got some poly prep somewhere.Basicly got the painting side of it sussed.

Just wanting to know if I should mask off all the parts other than the chrome and spray just the chrome(kidney off car obviuosly).

Or spray the grill that the kidney comes off as...cant imagine the paint matching the rest of the grill.

Or do I spray the whooooole front grill? Which i cant see being that great when stones and shizz hit it.

Any help would be a big help

Chur

when you take the kidney grill off, the chrome bits come off that. I just painted that and it turned out mint. but defintely roughen/primer for a better and longer lasting finish.

I recently did the whole front grill. Take it all off and in pieces [remove chrome - tad difficult].

Use a high grit sand paper [fine texture - I used wet and dry, works well].

I then bought a can of Dulux grey AC Metal Primer that I've used on many outdoor plastics,and primered the lot.

Then waited to dry [did both sides of everything], more wet and dry light sanding occured.

Waited for water to quickly evaporate as I used a lil water under flood lights for fast drying.

Used Dulux Satin Black spray can to finish it off enuring I covered all primered parts getting into every cranny in the grills outter side.

Wait to dry, don't rush and put it all back together. Also, mask off the rubber above the headlights grille as paint + rubber = no no. Getting new screws or painting the heads black can help if you don't chip the paint again.

Wrap it in Vinyl, its always reversable, you have heaps of black to choose from also.

Hmm yeh thats what I was thinking,painting wise.Vynil may be the way to go though aye?

How much for (wild guess) half a metre by say 30cm of satin black?

Cheers

Im not sure I would reccomend using satin black to wrap the grill, its not a cast vinyl (doesnt conform enough for such a massive curved application) though is fine for your other chrome areas which are flatter and only have to bend one way.

I reccomend you use a Matte Black, or Gloss Black, then there are 2 brands (3M and Arlon) that make these cast blacks so all four are different shades/brightness in there own way.

Your looking at $30+gst for 381mm x 500mm for this type of Vinyl.

Won't they look silly next to a freshly painted grill though? Ie; can tell its vinyl'd?

Personally I've painted grille + kids and am in the process of satin black vinyling the door trims.

If I applied the vinyl you wouldnt tell its vinyl but if you do it no guarantees, lol. It does take practise like anything, and the right tools.