Sign in to follow this  
minima

M3 CSL

Does any one know the best radar detector for my new M3CSL?

Yes, but I won't know until after I have driven it in a highly illegal fashion. PM me to arrange this.

Yes, but I won't know until after I have driven it in a highly illegal fashion. PM me to arrange this.

Must take it down Gracefield or White Lines East for a blast

Must take it down Gracefield or White Lines East for a blast

My speed record for Whites Line East is 145km/h... in a Subaru Vortex.

Go down Riverside Drive, do a few tight corners, and stop at St Ronans Ave- I'll be waiting!

everyone sayes V1 but i havent used one before.

I'm hoping to get one though. anyone reccomend a place? i also dont want it sitting on my windscreen, are there any options for else where?

I'm hoping to get one though. anyone reccomend a place? i also dont want it sitting on my windscreen, are there any options for else where?

You can have them mounted in-dash or hidden completely.

[quote 'Jedski @ Oct 31 2006, 10:00 PM)

Oh yea, this was about radar detectors! V1 works good, used to have one, got stolen. I think their popularity with criminals speaks volumes for their effectivity.

Edited by ThreeOneEight

My black CSL is the same colour as my 'Hutt Valley' T-shirt I bought from the Dowse Art Gallery. It comes up well in speed cameras. Ususally get up to 165 kph just returning the video a coulpe of hundred meters up the road. Might try Eastbourne roads one dark night when there are no waves bashing houses down.

My black CSL is the same colour as my 'Hutt Valley' T-shirt I bought from the Dowse Art Gallery. It comes up well in speed cameras. Ususally get up to 165 kph just returning the video a coulpe of hundred meters up the road. Might try Eastbourne roads one dark night when there are no waves bashing houses down.

Umm.. What?

We are the original car loving city here in Lower Hutt. What an amazing coincidence, I used to work for the Dowse!

We are the original car loving city here in Lower Hutt. What an amazing coincidence, I used to work for the Dowse!

St Bernards was a great school , once trashed a Fiat Bambina on the school rugby ground

St Bernards was a great school , once trashed a Fiat Bambina on the school rugby ground

I was a HVHS boy on account of my most fortunate noncatholicism. Sladden park is always fun on a wet day, just watch out for the groundskeeper. Would love to see a CSL give the playing fields a thorough seeing-to.

reminds me of my days at WBHS, i loved playing rossy always a good game

really? what year you leave..andy n i ex rosa boys

True, 2000-2002 F5-F7

Because my year had f**k all (edit)rugby (/edit) players i got to know heaps of rossa boys

Edited by Jedski

If you want the hidden one, what about the Beltronics RX75? Seems highly rated. Seen a Lambo, an Aston DB9 and e60 M5 has them plus a laser jammer.

If you are going to buy a radar detector, go for the V1, make sure it is the NZ mod'ed one with the X Band "removed".

Radar detectors that arent windscreen mounted, generally dont have range of the windscreen mounted units, and the advantage of a windscreen mounted V1 is that its "looking" in both a forward and reverse direction.

Personally (after years of habitual speeding, and having owned Radar Detectors and Jammers since the original Super Snooper), I vary rarely bother with carrying the unit these days. The Stalker unit fitted to most Police cars now, is virtually undetectable in operation, generally the mode of operation that the Highway Patrol Units (marked or mufti) use is the steath mode. What this means is that if there is a roving cop you might see him if he is instant oning a car in front of you, but if you are the only car on the road, chances are the first time the radar detector goes off you are done. Unlike the old Hawk units where you could scrub off up to 11 kmh once the radar detector goes off, the reaction time of the Stalker is that fast that you cant beat it.

The Stalker is a Ka band unit which has a very short beam.....relatively short pickup range (unlike X Band that could detect things in excess of 5 km away), but it also means that you have a relatively short detection range as well.

The V1 does work well with detecting the cameras

Laser Jammers seem to work, but there are a heap less lasers out there, than car mounted units.

But its all a compromise, to cut down on destection ranges you should remove as much of the shiny stuff off the car.

A mate of mine was involved with the testing of the original Hawk units at Ohakea. His Ferrari 400, with black number plates, and pop up headlights was virtually undetectable until he was right on top of the patrol car, whereas his daily drive car, with conventional headlights and white number plates was picked up as it started the test run.

However to beat the camera's you want the black reflective numbers for your number plates...so you either beat the flash cameras, and increase your detectability to conventional radar and the lasers, or you cover as much of the reflective surfaces as you can, and leave yourself exposed to camera flashes.

These days my licence is more important than fast A-B times, if I'm going for a fang, I'll keep it to stretches of roads well and truely off the beaten tracks, or for the track. Intercity work for me now is 100-110 kmh.

With the Hawk units radar detectors would "see" them for miles, and your radar detector would definitely save your licence. With the Stalker you havent got a chance of beating it.