Sign in to follow this  
Jedski

E34 suspension advice

Hey guys, I'm pretty new, i brought a 1988 535i manual 2 weeks ago. I have had it serviced my JC BMW (i have my reasons) and when i brought it i knew the shocks were worn (i factored this into my offer). Apparently after talking to this guy today both the front and rear need replacing, i declined as it wasn't urgent but will need to be done as will my clutch. I hadn't driven much of the car so I stuck. should i get new BMW shocks or go get some aftermarkets? I liked the ride height as it was aggresive enough and gereat for dailying it. handled well enough but new to all this

all advice is great, and I'm sorry i might understand much

thanks yo

Edited by Jedski

if its already lowered std bmw ones wont be the go...ask arouind see who knows what they are doing around your way.FWIW i think the std BMW = Boge

i had jamex springs ( 40mm lower) with boge gt turbo shocks handled very well .

i am fitting my new car with similer looking springs M and B ( h&r maybe ) with bilsteins .

post-279-1162373993_thumb.jpg

If you intend to upgrade spring to higher spring rate and possibly lower then go for shock with adjustable rebound so you can crank them up to match the springs.

My preference is KONI Sport adjustables fantastic tech support and knowledge and they last much better than most

Adustible shocks look the go then, is this the same as coil over adjustables? or just a plain shock with some adjustments?

Coil overs give you adjustable height and sometimes adjustable compression and rebound.

If you need to play around with height for various reasons then these have benefits but may limit you in choices of springs etc.

If you want good improvements but are not fanatical about adjusting your car each time you use it for a different purpose the go Sport adjustable Koni.

Also Jerry Claytons are great to deal with , my first port of call as well

Cool man now i understand, i think adjustable koni's are the go. but wouldnt mind the ability to adjust the ride height. Would i need to use specific springs with the coil overs?

Whoops didnt realise my brother even visited this site, Im just used his account :mellow: