Sign in to follow this  
WarNox

replacing e36 brakes/rotors

my brakes are gone and the rotors are pretty f....., at the dealership it just over $600 ($100 per rotor + $100 per a set of pads) just for the parts. But all those parts will be OEM and i know will work properly.

Is this a smart thing to do or can I get something better for $600? I read the brake upgrade thread but have not rung them or anything yet. And with non-oem parts, will the brake pad wear sensors work?

thanks

Gregor

do them yourslef , theres plenty of write ups all over the place on replacing brake pads and rotors, i take it you drove your brake pads to the ground ignoring the brake pad wear sensor light?, you can pick up some good brake pads for 100 a pair from most car shops, 40 a pair if you want to go cheap but i wouldnt recommend them, as for rotors seems like the perfect time to upgrade to slotted bigger rotors :) not sure on price for them anyway heres a full write up:

http://www.bimmerdiy.com/diy/e36brakesystem

edit: brake pad sensor should work with all brakes that are designed for e36, youll probably need 2 buy some of them as well as they are not reusable uless you wanted to get rid of it all together

Edited by MADBMA

i bought ebc green for my E36 cost me $160 for the front and ebc black for the rear and those were about $140 cant recall if those were the exact prices but i paid $300 all up for the pads, and for some strange reason the ebc green for the rear is more expensive than the front.. they go alright but seem to squeek every so often.

dont forget the brake sensor module too!

give me your vin number and let me see if i can get some cheaper oem ones that you've been quoted.

Edited by isis

cool, thanks for the replies guys.

yeah i will do it all myself. i like buying oem parts, i trust it more. sure my chassis number is : FJ01537

the light isn't on, but i know the rotors are warped as the car shakes when braking at higher speed. i think when i bought the car the light was on (back when i didnt know anything about e36's), and the seller said they'll sort it out, i have the feeling they just pulled the bulb out of the cluster, as the two screws that hold it in weren't there when i got the car.

and yeah ill buy the sensors, but they aren't too expenisve so its ok.

Edited by WarNox

I can get you these prices for -

they're more or less OEM parts.

German (Lucas) Brake Pads - $60

German (Lemforder) Front Rotor - $90 each

Does not include shipping...dont think they'll be too expensive.

cheers

yeah i've never heard anything bad about stock parts, but if isis can get a good deal on german parts that will be the same as oem parts i'd be happy to get them. but once the shipping adds up the cost could be pretty much the same.

isis found the total price and its about $100 cheaper than going to team mcmillan.

i do not know that they're as good as oe parts. But ill see what ill do still. I haven't found anything bad on the internet about those two german brands.

I'd stick with the OEM rotors and upgrade the pads. Mine has Mintex 1166 from Racebrakes. However, buy the best your wallet will allow.

Buying better tyres will also improve your braking ability.

what are the mintex pads like? The EBC green seem alright i only really brought them cos they make less dust and i hate cleaning my wheels lol, they're pretty good on long trips dont seem to fade or anything :)

The 1166 dust far less than the OEM Pagid pads. And 3pedals is correct on their performance. Better than average from cold and great when warm.

I have no idea what they are like compared to other pads. I've not heard great things about the EBC, so avoided them. They seem to be the APC (un-interruptible power supply) of the brake market. The best marketers, so more people buy them.

hmm sounds like i should try mintex next time.. The EBC seem to do as they say in the way of reducing dust and he breaking performance seems good for everyday driving just the rear ones which are EBC black seem to squeek every so often.

But yeh i guess its better than having to clean my wheels every 4 days like i would have to with OEM pads

hmm sounds like i should try mintex next time.. The EBC seem to do as they say in the way of reducing dust and he breaking performance seems good for everyday driving just the rear ones which are EBC black seem to squeek every so often.

But yeh i guess its better than having to clean my wheels every 4 days like i would have to with OEM pads

If you do choose to go with EBC, maybe you want to try EBC Red Ceramic. I hear that's a good pad. Their name was tarnished last time but apparently now they have turned over a new leaf and are doing quite well. The only reason I didn't go with EBC is that I got quoted too high a price for them. Ended up getting my parts from the US.