Sign in to follow this  
nz320i

think im overheating

help! (1988 320i )

Its been running a little over the half way mark since i replaced the thermostat.... before was too far under..

Could it be the fan for the radiator not going enough or something, i really dont know, will take it in this week to get a look at ( 2nd time for the engine in 3 years! - so i guess something had to happen )

any other ideas, as my heater was leaking so i bypassed it, until i have fixed that, but was getting hot before it started leaking,

it seems to be using more oil too.

Thanks

Edited by nz320i

Half way was the normal mark for most of my e30's

So i dont think thats high!

+

help! (1988 320i )

Its been running a little over the half way mark since i replaced the thermostat.... before was too far under..

Could it be the fan for the radiator not going enough or something, i really dont know, will take it in this week to get a look at ( 2nd time for the engine in 3 years! - so i guess something had to happen )

any other ideas, as my heater was leaking so i bypassed it, until i have fixed that, but was getting hot before it started leaking,

it seems to be using more oil too.

Thanks

yeah when i got my car it was running a bit over the 1/2 way mark as well ( e36). i flushed the radiator and changed coolant and water.. then after that it was running normal temp on 1/2 way.

Edited by Docile

Is it sitting constantly at that level or creeping further? As already said E30's sit pretty well on half way normally. Without apraising & confirming actual temp there are several possibilties to an overheat: possibly faulty new thermostat - seen before. Partially blocked radiator, sluggish water pump, viscous fan - these could have been masked if the old thermostat was stuck open previously. Head gasket -is it using water? Possibly still an air lock -probably unlikely.

First thing to do is confirm actual temperature engine is running at

hmm have been topping up a bit lately with water, and i never replaced the water pump when i had it apart, ill see what the mechanic says, i really cant be bothered trying to figure this one out! Ill fix it if he knows for sure what the prob is.

Had enough of the car at the mo, lol.

Its creeping further over half way, not into red but it does creep a lot in traffic which it never used to do, thats why im worried as ive never had these troubles.

Cheers

Edited by nz320i

If its creeping up in traffic it is most likely the viscous clutch assembly attached to your fan. At the half way mark or a little over it allowing for variations in senders and guages etc your fan should lock in and start turning at the same speed as your engine rather than free wheeling along. The best way of testing this is with a rolled up newspaper - you will be able to bring the fan to a stop when its free wheeling but when its being driven be the engine, it will chop up the news paper!!. You will note that you can really feel it blowing air when its turning with the engine. Replacement is not a major - you will need a large open ended spanner (32mm from memory) - Put it on the big nut then give the end of the spanner a few taps with a large hammer as this allow you to loosen the nut - I think its a reverse thread as well. You could buy a new assembly from trade me or a wrecker like I did and strike it luck that it will be a good one - or simply buy a new one. In case this isnt the issue - try bleedng your system properly, the try flushing out the radiator so that it runs clean of all the brown crap that builds up in there.

thanks! i have something to do on it today then!

i did put a load of stop leak in it ages ago but i did just bleed the system with new coolant but maybe i need to flush with nulon or somehting? will try the news paper trick.

Yeah - put in some cooling system flush and drive around for half an hour before draining and flushing your system. Dont use stop leak remedies unless as a get you home thing as you are better off fixing an issue rather than glugging up your colling system with that stuff. Dont let your guage go over the three quater mark tho - if the fan hasnt kicked in by then in aint going to.

oh, while your doin the system flush, check the hoses for signs of age and wear.. and replace accordingly :)