Sign in to follow this  
ipwnyou

Gearbox - for the M40 316

What would one of those baby's set me back? And what's the availablity? I'm not looking for a conversion, mine just feels like im changing gear in gravel, and sounds like it too.

Just realised i posted this in the For Sale section...please move it!!

Edited by ipwnyou

yup, but if i wanted to sell my motor it'd be worth more with a g/b attached. Plus just looking at prices.

Although who'd want to buy a freak'n 1.6 engine? hahaha.

Don't forget your motor's got the same head as a 318 m40, probably worth more by selling the head if it's good and splitting the box off. Head should be worth 250 to 300 if good, maybe more, don't know what the box's worth?

Don't forget your motor's got the same head as a 318 m40, probably worth more by selling the head if it's good and splitting the box off. Head should be worth 250 to 300 if good, maybe more, don't know what the box's worth?

Yeah from what I've been told it is the same head - and the engine actually runs really nicely, puts out some pretty good power for a 1.6 - be selling it soon anyway so will find out what the market is soon enough ;)

Thanks

Hay people i am new to this site. I was just woundering while we are on the topic, do the gearboxs in the 316 bolt onto a 318 enigne? as i was considering of re-powering my 316...

Hay people i am new to this site. I was just woundering while we are on the topic, do the gearboxs in the 316 bolt onto a 318 enigne? as i was considering of re-powering my 316...

I don't' know for sure, but I suspect they'd be identical.

Paul

I don't' know for sure, but I suspect they'd be identical.

Paul

yeh dats what i fought...how ever is there any easier way of getting "cheap horse power" i know that sounds stupid but i was woundering if there was a cheaper alternative than getting a 1.8 l...

Yes, the gearbox will fit. The engines are externally identical, only the crank and rods are different.If you want to convert a 1.6 to a 1.8 I have a 1.8 crank and set of rods... FREE. Edited by gmccormack