Sign in to follow this  
nz320i

electric fan

Hey i went to a wrecker today and told me my car is getting hot because i ripped the aircon out, as its missing the aircon fan now, only has vicous fan..

my bad,

so i bought a electric fan off him and he said wire it to the old plug that air con fan was on, its plugs in just doesnt seem to work. he said you need to jumper a plug on the radiator?

anyone get what im saying?? Sorry in a rush!

Cheers

radiator switch only kicks in at about 75% temp , just wire it through a switch or buy an adj temp sensor to conect to your rad ot theostat housing .

Hey i went to a wrecker today and told me my car is getting hot because i ripped the aircon out, as its missing the aircon fan now, only has vicous fan..

my bad,

so i bought a electric fan off him and he said wire it to the old plug that air con fan was on, its plugs in just doesnt seem to work. he said you need to jumper a plug on the radiator?

anyone get what im saying?? Sorry in a rush!

Cheers

Niether fan (viscous or electric) has any effect while your car is moving, so unless your car is only overheating while it's stationary the fan is not the problem. Also I think the factory electric fan wiring only switches the fan on when both the water temp is high AND the aircon is switched on, so if the rest of the aircon system has been removed the fan will never kick in. Rewire it as Brent has all ready suggested if you really want an electric fan, but I dont think that it will help with your overheating. The viscous fan is all you need if it and the rest of the cooling system is working properly.

ok, could the viscous fan be stuffed though? 199,000ks and its not the mintest engine, ive really only started to start replacing things..

Just the oil looks good and coolant looks perfect too no mucky or dirty substances.

Any other things that could be effecting this?

it was 26 here today but im sure this wouldnt make it overly warm?

Oh and my heater core is possilby leaking am getting it pressure tested soon

Edited by nz320i

I've taken the aircon fan and rad out and have no heating problems. If you're not losing water, then I'd be checking water pump, viscous fan and thermostat first, IMO the aircon fan does nothing to cool the motor, I think you've been sold a line, manual cars without aircon don't overheat. I'd be chasing the wrecker for my money back?

hmm, he even offfered to wire it up as the guys there reckoned viscous fans werent good, but i am loosing water, and it seems to have done it after me replacing the thermostat, maybe a coincidence or not?

i bleed the system like they say..

I had a brand new genuine BMW thermostat that was stuffed right out of the box. It sat the water temp rock steady at just over 3/4 on the temp gauge. Not good.

Edited by gmccormack

If you're losing water it's going somewhere, check when it's hot, listen for any hissing under the bonnet, check hoses and fittings, don't forget to check the heater as well, and all the small hoses which carry water around the intake.

ok heres one more thing, the heater was leaking so i bypassed it using an elbox joint from para rubber until its fixed, but this was getting warm before i did that..

havent re-bleed the system since i did that, so maybe there is air in there?

the temp gauge is moving maybe the thermostat is ok?

Heater bypass should be fine, would suggest you rebleed it, and see how it is then. If you're still using water keep checking for where it's going.

hi, rebleed it and it still gets in the 3rd quarter of the temp gauge or a little over half, so not hugley hot but more than normal,

so no re bleeding didnt help.

could the thermostat be faulty??

havent tried th boiling water trick will do it tomorrow and see whats up.

cant find any external leaks, and the oil looks ok, although does have some small air bubbles on dip stick which indicates what ??

Cheers :(

think ill try a new thermostat, dammit i biffed the old receipt so i doubt they are going to give my money bad

ANYONE have a thermostat which they know is ok, maybe out of a wrecked car .. bit risky but i want to try and see if mine is definatly stuffed before i spend another $70 on a new dealer one.... bad idea?????

Edited by nz320i

I wouldn't throw it away, doubt it's the problem, but you could try taking it out and running without one to see if that fixes the problem. It just allows the water to circulate all the time which tends to have the car running a bit cold, but if it still overheats then you know it's not the thermostat!

thanks for the good advice!!

will try that this weekend, then i will know for sure,

I wouldn't throw it away, doubt it's the problem, but you could try taking it out and running without one to see if that fixes the problem. It just allows the water to circulate all the time which tends to have the car running a bit cold, but if it still overheats then you know it's not the thermostat!

That will work for a M40 but not for a M20. Removing the thermostat in a M20 doesn't force the water to circulate through the radiator all the time. It allows some of the water to run in a loop without going to the radiator at all. Sure the engine will be slow to warm up and it may even run cool for a while but of soon as you put the engine under load it will overheat.

ok, im going to take my water pump out and check it, and replace my cam belt too.. hope fully its the pump and i can fix it

On another note, just in the last week my car has been getting hot (up to the 3/4 temp line), when I stop the car and go do a job and come back 20mins later it wont start, but then when you let it sit a further 10+mins with the bonnet up to cool it starts up sweet as. This happened three times and all when the car was hot, any other time it starts sweet as. Was wondering if there is a sensor that stops it from turning over if it thinks the engine is too hot??? Really random and frustrating!

interesting! im sure thats happened to me before, and im still not sure whats causing my problems, not as bad as that though! will take my radiator in this week just for a pressure check, and then check the water pump. i cant figure out what else is wrong with the car!

then will bleed the system and hope its sweet! :rolleyes:

guess so, i got the one from the dealer, and told him the year model etc,

its behaved itself today after replacing heater core, and bleeding it well, hope it continues..