Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

Blocked mufflers

A mate of mine has just been told the reason his moped wont start is because the muffler is blocked and thats its 550 for a new muffler !

I have no real idea, but wouldnt it only be blocked by carbon deposits ? He only rides it for 5 mins to and from work and perhaps the muffler doesnt get hot enough to burn the carbon off fully.

Does anyone know if there is something to clean them out, or have a better idea of what might be causing it ?

just rip the muffler off, sounds pretty loud, i had one with no exhaust for a while, funny little things, but sounds pretty wierd a blocked muffler being the cause, i would take it off to see if it runs then sort out some type of other muffler for it, probably get one custom made for $550 seems abit overboard.

it'll be a 2 stroke, I assume...

as you probably know, 2 strokes run an oil mix to lubricate the engine.

this oil, doesn't burn so clean, especially if he's been running a cheap "$8 a litre" lawnmower/chainsaw type sh*t. my last 2 stroke had run on this most of it's 2 years, and was worse for wear for it.

not only does it not do it;s required lubrication job so well, compared with decent stuff, but it also barely burns, especially if it's only run short distance. i doubt there'd be buigger all heat generated in the expansion chamber/muffler, to burn of the deposits.

My latest had a fair bit of crap in th muffler, expansion chambr was fine, due entirely to crap oil being used. after running castrol tts ($25 a litre, but well worth it) it cleared a little, the rest i brnt out with a coldish flame on an oxy/acetelene torch. his may b too far gone/a bit too fragile to do this with though....

degreaser wont shift much as alot of it is half burnt, hard deposits....

second hand exhaust would be a cheaper option

what brand/model is the moped?

cycle works or similar on the eastern hutt road,he makes motorbike exhaust systems,he will prolly be able to tell you how to fix it.Might be able to heat it upp enough with a welding rig to clean it out.Have heard of this when i was into bikes...Two stroke???

Yep a 2 stroke. He just puts some bog standard 2 stroke motorbike oil in it.

Apparantly his mechanic tried to clean it out a month or so ago.

Dont know what sort of scooter it is, but it sounds like he's going to take the easy way out and just buy a new one.

A mate of mine has just been told the reason his moped wont start is because the muffler is blocked and thats its 550 for a new muffler !

I have no real idea, but wouldnt it only be blocked by carbon deposits ? He only rides it for 5 mins to and from work and perhaps the muffler doesnt get hot enough to burn the carbon off fully.

Does anyone know if there is something to clean them out, or have a better idea of what might be causing it ?

What type of scooter is it? i have a vespa 50s and i imported a performance muffer for it and it only ended up costing mne around $300...550 is way over the top.

I had an old bike that did the same thing. It ran like sh*t and didn't burn off the carbon even when hot. Every three or four weeks I pulled the muffler off and cleaned it out (the muffled dis-assembled so you could get the baffles out and take to them directly).

If his mechanic couldn't clean it out, I'd say its been left too long.

this is the way you do it but no guarantees the muffler will survive. and do it outside as, once it gets going, you will probably have the fire dept there... and I'm NOT joking here..!!!

Get a gas axe (cutting torch) with a big tip. Light it and set it to have a longish hot flame. Stick it just into the exhaust in the same direction as the normal flow and keep it there till you get it burning inside (you will get REALLY thick white smoke coming out), then turn off the acetelene and hit the oxygen purge and supply the pipe with as much oxygen as it wants. This process takes a while and you may have to reignite the torch from time to time and get it burning again.

I used to race 2strokes and we all used this method to keep the pipes perfectly clean as they carbon up even with decent 2stroke oil and running hard on the gas... and carbon= loss of power.. :(

have fun !

Will

Edited by will