Sign in to follow this  
318isCoupe

Someone Get It

No I dont think so, not with 189k.

The silver nz new e36 m3 that went at Dunedins Armstrong Prestige for $19,900 was well priced. I missed out on that one :(

Edited by tintop

Guest Ken

I wouldn't buy any car with more than 100k on the clock. That one is bankruptcy on a stick, just waiting for a sucker.

Nah - That car would be child's play, try owning 2 XJSs :wacko:

Nah - That car would be child's play, try owning 2 XJSs :wacko:

"Thats sensible" Owning one is stupid! you need to buy two, so you can cannibalise one for parts

Guest Ken

"Thats sensible" Owning one is stupid! you need to buy two, so you can cannibalise one for parts

You're on to it!!! BTW - I have an E30 pfl 323i for "therapy". :lol:

189k is nothing....my e38 has done almost that and it still drives and looks like new. It all depends on how well looked after they are.

Why are people so obsessed with the number 100k ? Its the same in England once over 100k (miles that is) people just run away. The same here but its 100k kms instead ?

I just dont get it, these engines are capable of astronomical milages yet people cringe at a paultry 100k kms.

Its barely run in !

No I dont think so, not with 189k.

The silver nz new e36 m3 that went at Dunedins Armstrong Prestige for $19,900 was well priced. I missed out on that one :(

Hah yess Al gutted for you, because not only was it a bargain and I groomed it personally (:P) but I missed out on commission! :P

Why are people so obsessed with the number 100k ? Its the same in England once over 100k (miles that is) people just run away. The same here but its 100k kms instead ?

I just dont get it, these engines are capable of astronomical milages yet people cringe at a paultry 100k kms.

Its barely run in !

Agreed! Seen that so many times when I work at Ellerslie Car Fair. Those that have over 100k on the clock sit there for weeks not selling.

Especially imported cars probably idle for much of its life stuck in traffic. They should have a engine run-time clock like tractors as well as an odometer.

(Many modern BMW does have that but need a GT1/MoDIC to read it I think)

^^^ Can someone confirm this?

Its barely run in !

The 100mile, then later the 100km mark is an itch cycle that car dealers & marketing people have brainwashed the public with, to increase turnover

any car dealer would rather [personally] buy a 100k car to a 99k car [same general condition, but one is substantially cheaper] selling is a different situation though

Enthusiasts usually don't care about K's [if they are low, it's a bonus]

m325i before the conversion started was still going strong at 375,000 ... I dont see the big deal with people and k's either. if the car is good ... its good .. servicing is the key.

as i can recall brent has a 5 series that has done 400 000k's or so and still going strong...

and besides cars with engines like that are expected to run more that a car witha turbo in it.. turbo puts more stress in da engine hence the problem with servicing begins (needs more regular servicing etc)... like my bros subaru.. starting giving him troubles like burst pipes, some engine probs, gearbox failing at 190ks... on da other hand my car @ 206xxx ks still running strong, also with my sisters civic at 220 ks.. vtec still kicks hard and an easy daily driver it hasnt broken down even once the whole time we have owned it (6 years)

ive seen a 2003 civic that my m8 was going to buy.. it had 80 ks on it and was going for i believe 28k or so.. anyways when i drove it engine felt sluggish than usual, gearing wont respond much to throttle, and had signs of oil leaks on da engine.. i checked oil levels and to my suprise, the dipping stick didnt even get any oil on it.. so it was running on hopes and dreams?? LOL

Edited by Docile

I have 3 E30 325's at the moment that are approaching 300kms and all still go very well and don't use oil. Puff a bit of smoke on startup but that is just hard valve stem seals and not worth worrying about.

Had an E12 M535i in SA that had 340k on the clock before it was stolen. Also didn't have any problems and was only 4kw off spec on the dyno.

My old faithful diesel toyota has nearly 400kms on the clock, drips a bit of oil from the rear crank seal but still doesn't use oil between services and uses around 5litres/100km.

I service all my cars regularly with good oil, drive them very hard but don't thrash them.. (not often anyway.. :o )

Will