Sign in to follow this  
greenday-rulz21

Do I need to modify Factory Wiring??

Hi guys, thanks for all your help for the E39 tail lights. I have been to hella.co.nz but they only sell the brand new LED version, just wondering if I need to modify the factory wiring to fit these, Any help is great.

Heres the link to them,

Click Here

Hi guys, thanks for all your help for the E39 tail lights. I have been to hella.co.nz but they only sell the brand new LED version, just wondering if I need to modify the factory wiring to fit these, Any help is great.

Heres the link to them,

Click Here

Have you asked Hella ?

Heres the link to them,

Click Here

Hi, Haven't actually done conversion myself but I undestand there is an adapter or mod required to convert these lamps to LED

Different plugs I think.

From memory I think there was someone also pedalling these on TM - supplied from Aussie - maybe worth a look

Have you asked Hella ?

No, I didn't think about that. Just found a "Contact Us" link on their product page so i'll email them and see what they say.

Thanks martyyn

No, I didn't think about that. Just found a "Contact Us" link on their product page so i'll email them and see what they say.

Thanks martyyn

Try ringing them if you find a number. Ive found that alot of NZ places are crap at replying to emails :(

Try ringing them if you find a number. Ive found that alot of NZ places are crap at replying to emails :(

Yea, i'll give them a ring in a few days. Not really the best time to be contacting them anyway over New Years. I'll see if they reply to my email. Thanks

One thing to remember - when you fit LED taillights, the LKM will think your taillights are blown, because the LEDs offer less electrical load than conventional light bulbs.

LKM = Light Control Module

So you'll either need to get BMW to re-code the LKM to switch off the rear light warning, or you'll need to add a resistor across the rear lights to simulate the electrical load of the standard taillights.

To figure out what resistor size, first measure the current consumption of the standard taillights, then measure the LEDs.

Then use the good old V=IR to calculate the resistor value.

Remember to workout the wattage (P=VA) so that you get resistors big enough!

Note that you'll need to measure each bulb separately as they are controlled individually

Cheers, Jochen

One thing to remember - when you fit LED taillights, the LKM will think your taillights are blown, because the LEDs offer less electrical load than conventional light bulbs.

LKM = Light Control Module

So you'll either need to get BMW to re-code the LKM to switch off the rear light warning, or you'll need to add a resistor across the rear lights to simulate the electrical load of the standard taillights.

To figure out what resistor size, first measure the current consumption of the standard taillights, then measure the LEDs.

Then use the good old V=IR to calculate the resistor value.

Remember to workout the wattage (P=VA) so that you get resistors big enough!

Note that you'll need to measure each bulb separately as they are controlled individually

Cheers, Jochen

Thanks Jochen,

That helps a lot, but just got an email back from hella about their LED lights,

-------------------------------------------

Hi Nick,

We can get the ones as shown in the attached catalogue page.

They have a list price of around $1000 plus gst.

The lamps are fully integrated to the original wiring, they are plug and

play.

(See attached file: bmwe39.pdf)

With best regards,

--------------------

Product Manager

Hella-New Zealand Limited

81-83 Ben Lomond Crescent

Pakuranga

Manukau 2010

New Zealand

Posted Image

-----------------------------------------

$$1000 + gst = screw that!!!

Thanks for your comment but i'll look around wreckers yards for the older bulb versions of the clear lights.

you could buy facelift lamps, and put led bulbs in?? cheaper option?

Thanks Jochen,

That helps a lot, but just got an email back from hella about their LED lights,

-------------------------------------------

Hi Nick,

We can get the ones as shown in the attached catalogue page.

They have a list price of around $1000 plus gst.

The lamps are fully integrated to the original wiring, they are plug and

play.

(See attached file: bmwe39.pdf)

With best regards,

--------------------

Product Manager

Hella-New Zealand Limited

81-83 Ben Lomond Crescent

Pakuranga

Manukau 2010

New Zealand

Posted Image

-----------------------------------------

$$1000 + gst = screw that!!!

Thanks for your comment but i'll look around wreckers yards for the older bulb versions of the clear lights.

its about what they cost anywhere ... that price is normal for LED