Sign in to follow this  
TronSpec

95 540iLE

Have being looking at buying a e34 to accompany my e30. Was thinking of a 525i as I have one of these motors in my e30 and am familiar with repairs and maitanence for them.

But I really like Cain's car. My boss has a 96 740i and I'm just loving the v8 smoothness. Now sh*t accompany that to a awesome 6 speed trans and smaller body and it would a wicked vehicle. How rare are these car's ie. how many in NZ ?? Seams like they are pretty much a m5 but without the 3.8ltr motor

Found this which had a bit of info about them

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/BMW540iLE/

1 540LE in NZ. There are about another 9 or 10 lower spec'd 540iS though.

Here is an excerpt from the M registry on them.

Were there any special versions of the M540i?

Being a limited model itself, there were no further special editions of the M540i. However, similar 540i models with different M5-derived equipment were offered in both the U.S. and Australian markets where the E34 M5 had also been discontinued after the 1993 model year. These were known as the 540i M-Sport (U.S.) and 540i Manual Limited Edition (Australia).

How is the Australian-spec E34 540i Manual Limited Edition unique?

A special production run of 70 right-hand drive E34 540i Manual Limited Edition models was produced for the Australian market between March and July of 1995. These were the only E34 540i models sold in Australia with the six-speed manual gearbox and included all of the standard 540i equipment as well as the following special features:

-"Nurburgring" chassis from the European-market E34 M5 with Electronic Damping Control (EDC), larger anti-roll bars and firmer shocks

-8x17-inch M System II wheels with 235/45ZR17 tires

-ASC+T traction control

-model badge delete

-Shadowline exterior trim

-sport seats

-graphite birds-eye maple wood trim

-M-Technic four-spoke airbag steering wheel

-illuminated M leaher shift knob

-silver plaque under the parking brake handle with each vehicle number in the edition of 70

The E34 540i Manual Limited Edition was officially offered in only the following exterior colors: Alpine White III (300), Calypso Red metallic (252), Arctic Silver metallic (309), Cosmos Black metallic (303), Techno Violet metallic (299), Tobago Blue metallic (256), Petrol Mica (305). In addition, there were three examples in Orient Blue metallic (317), two examples in Oxford Green metallic (324) and one example in both Ascot Green metallic (353) and Arctic Grey metallic (269). Interior colors and trim were limited to a choice of Anthracite M cloth/Amaretta suede, Silvergrey M cloth/Amaretta suede, Black leather, Silvergrey leather and Bi-Color Black/Silvergrey leather.

Edited by cainchapman

1 540LE in NZ. There are about another 9 or 10 lower spec'd 540iS though.

Here is an excerpt from the M registry on them.

Were there any special versions of the M540i?

Being a limited model itself, there were no further special editions of the M540i. However, similar 540i models with different M5-derived equipment were offered in both the U.S. and Australian markets where the E34 M5 had also been discontinued after the 1993 model year. These were known as the 540i M-Sport (U.S.) and 540i Manual Limited Edition (Australia).

How is the Australian-spec E34 540i Manual Limited Edition unique?

A special production run of 70 right-hand drive E34 540i Manual Limited Edition models was produced for the Australian market between March and July of 1995. These were the only E34 540i models sold in Australia with the six-speed manual gearbox and included all of the standard 540i equipment as well as the following special features:

-"Nurburgring" chassis from the European-market E34 M5 with Electronic Damping Control (EDC), larger anti-roll bars and firmer shocks

-8x17-inch M System II wheels with 235/45ZR17 tires

-ASC+T traction control

-model badge delete

-Shadowline exterior trim

-sport seats

-graphite birds-eye maple wood trim

-M-Technic four-spoke airbag steering wheel

-illuminated M leaher shift knob

-silver plaque under the parking brake handle with each vehicle number in the edition of 70

The E34 540i Manual Limited Edition was officially offered in only the following exterior colors: Alpine White III (300), Calypso Red metallic (252), Arctic Silver metallic (309), Cosmos Black metallic (303), Techno Violet metallic (299), Tobago Blue metallic (256), Petrol Mica (305). In addition, there were three examples in Orient Blue metallic (317), two examples in Oxford Green metallic (324) and one example in both Ascot Green metallic (353) and Arctic Grey metallic (269). Interior colors and trim were limited to a choice of Anthracite M cloth/Amaretta suede, Silvergrey M cloth/Amaretta suede, Black leather, Silvergrey leather and Bi-Color Black/Silvergrey leather.

Awesome info Cain Cheers

Looks like I'll be looking at another model e34 to purchase then. hahaha

the 540 is (thats I S) has the same engine and gearbox as The 540 I le.The NZ ones also have the "automatic air cond" and will also have the sports seats etc etc.They dont have the edc suspension,and as far as i know they have the same brakes.Even in sixth (and they have very high gearing) the accelleration is impressive.I think most of them came with the Metric wheels,but most will have had them swapped out by now.

At one time recently there were three(one twice) for sale over the period of a month.One of the guys that bought one of those cars has a thread some where about selling his.An awful lot of car for the money!I would have one in a second but the $ gap between my 535 will be too much.