Sign in to follow this  
arcon

Buying a 2001 E46

i'm looking to buy a 2001 E46, it will be a NZ-new import (my old '96 318is is likely to sell soon).

i'll be getting an AA check done, and having owned a 3-series bimmer b4 i know a lot of other things to check. the main thing i'm not sure on; are there any checks i can do to certify the mileage or service history before it was in NZ...? i don't really want to take the dealer's word for it, i must have looked at 20 BMWs before buying my last one and only one of those was from a dealer, the VIR showed it to be wound-back.

as for the model, i'm looking at 318i / iA, 320, 325. The only thing which really turns me off the 318 is the rubber trim around the windows which i think looks cheap, and it can't weather as well as the chrome featured on the 320+ series and Audi A4s. I'll also test drive an A4 1.8T and 2.0MU, but not having driven an Audi ever have no idea what to expect....

4 or 6cyl doesn't bother me, i like reasonable fuel economy, but i will want at least as much power as my old 318is (which wasn't huge, but noticeably better than a 318i of the time). i also liked the sports suspension on my car.

i know everyone says get a 325, however its really hard to find a 2000 / 2001 325 in New Zealand. also harder to spot a 320, i've never driven one... are they the same cabin size as a 318i...? or just a 6cyl version of the 316 with its tiny cabin...?

Finding an e46 manual is even harder, but thats beside the point cause you dont want one.

Anyway about choosing the right car, the 318iA e46's are terribly gutless imo.. Mum has a 325 and its got a decent amount of power, i really wouldnt want anything less. Also regarding the size, i dont think there is any difference at all in the size of the car inside and out, as far as i know they are all built around the same frames.

as with most other manufacturers each model gets slightly bigger.The E46 seems as big inside as my E34 5 sries.Dont get it checked by the AA get it checked by a BMW dealer.More thorough and more specific.

are there any checks i can do to certify the mileage or service history before it was in NZ...? i don't really want to take the dealer's word for it, i must have looked at 20 BMWs before buying my last one and only one of those was from a dealer, the VIR showed it to be wound-back.

The mileage counter is electronic ... I wouldn’t worry about it being wound back ;)

Best thing to do as others have said is get BMW to check it over, as the have the proper diagnostic computer to hook up and read the fault codes. The e46's are pretty sorted as far as the over car goes; some notes however: Generally avoid Singapore import models due to electrical and rubber components wearing out due to climate, Get the rear sub frame to chassis mount points checked ... chassis cracked on early higher output models (99,00 325, 328) The m3 and 330( c )i seemed to be exempt?! from this problem. The rest is just general service checks with e46's ... they are pretty solid cars otherwise.

The mileage counter is electronic ... I wouldn’t worry about it being wound back ;)

It's even easier to change the numbers on an electronic counter than an analog one =]

Having driven my mum's E46 320 sedan, I wouldn't go for anything smaller than a 325.

It's even easier to change the numbers on an electronic counter than an analog one =]

Having driven my mum's E46 320 sedan, I wouldn't go for anything smaller than a 325.

how often would it happen ? .. just buy from someone reputible, yeah .. the lower powered e46's blow

As said above, BMW Inspection. Its worth the extra money (?) and specific.

Better to be safe than sorry eh!

Godo luck.

Em

thanks for the replies people, i will get a BMW pre-inspection... heh $$.

so no-one knows how big an e46 320 cabin is compared to an e36 318...? just after posting this i went out for a drive i saw a mid 90's 320, and it was definitely slimmer than my 318is, much like the 316 (yuk) which i wouldn't want. there's a lot of NZ-new 2001 320s to choose from at a good price, a 325 is going to be a bitch just to find one, i think i've seen only 1 on trademe (if anybody knows of anyone or a website etc feel free to msg me).

btw one more newb question: is a 323 the earlier version of the 325 or a different model...? would they have been around in 2000 / 2001...?

If you're in AK BM Workshop do a pre-sale check for $100, very thorough.

You should know how to recognise the tamper indicator on the electronic speedo. Basically, if a small dot is shown (like a decimal point) then the speedo reading doesn't match the LKM stored reading, its been tampered with

But a general wear-andtear and service history check should show how genuine it is

Avoid Singapore imports ... a friend of mine worked for a speedo verification company and they were shown a machine in Singarpore (posing as purchasers of this machine) that could pretty much re-write the whole history of a BMW OBDII without trace. He's a BMW factory trained technician, so he knows these things like inside out and even he was stunned by what this thing could do.

Things to check for E46 especially:

- rear trailing arm bushed (these wear out quite fast and can affect the handling dramatically)

- front lower arm bushing (same as above)

- The rear subframe issue doesn't plague the E46s as much as the E36 (although it has been reported to affect all models of the E46 where the rear subframe have cracked.) However majority of these cases happened on modified vehicles (lowered suspension) or ones that have been tracked regularly.

- Coil packs also tends to go in the E46 6 cylinder engines,

- Check the alternator - I've personally seen quite a few failures of the alternator on E46 models

- Check the emission control pump thingee - that's also known to fail just after warranty

- Check also that inspection 2 has been done (expensive) if it's due soon factor it into your bargain.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head right now any way.

thanks heaps for those links :)

i found a 325 on trademe, and quite recent at 2001 as well:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.as...&key=557154

however for $25K it doesn't even have leather, hehe a bit lame to be honest. having had a leather ride i would never go back.

My dads selling a black 330 e46 with m3 wheels, no leather but bigga enigne and lookings awsome in black, although not as gud as 320 on fuel...

How much are you willing to spend there sir?

We've got a beautiful one...

2002 BMW 325ci (Says 01 on rego I checked today)

78,000 kms

Tiptronic

2500cc

Topaz Blue Metallic

NZ New, Motorsport extras,

Full leather,

Multi-function steering wheel,

Electric seats

$32,990 (though I'm sure this is negotiable..)

Its in great condition... And im sure shipping would not be a problem as we deal with trucking companies on a daily basis.

Posted Image

http://www.armstrongprestige.co.nz/usedcars/dunedin.html

Regards

Emma

Edited by BMW POWER

^^ man that thing looks badass,I want one.

We've got a beautiful one...

[snip]

2002 BMW 325ci (Says 01 on rego I checked today)

Its in great condition... And im sure shipping would not be a problem as we deal with trucking companies on a daily basis.

hi - thanks for the offer and a very nice looking car :) sadly its above what i'm looking to spend. in any case i don't buy cars that i can't see locally, i also have a preference for 4-door cars...

Absolutely not a problem Arcon, Thanks anyway and good luck with your BMW hunt. Its not an easy road...

hi - thanks for the offer and a very nice looking car :) sadly its above what i'm looking to spend. in any case i don't buy cars that i can't see locally, i also have a preference for 4-door cars...

we have two e46 sedans, one is red and its a 330 motor sport(no leather) the other is black its a 330 i with m3 wheels.

we have two e46 sedans, one is red and its a 330 motor sport(no leather) the other is black its a 330 i with m3 wheels.

hey thanks for your post :) feel free to post some links to photos. just FYI, i'm considering anything 4-door, year 2000 minimum, (probably can't afford 2002 though). if a car doesn't have leather then i still might consider it, but it will have to be a pretty good deal ;) anyone know what it would cost to get a full-leather refurbishment done...? i have no idea.... hehe my '96 iS just sold today so i am a serious buyer :)

hey thanks for your post :) feel free to post some links to photos. just FYI, i'm considering anything 4-door, year 2000 minimum, (probably can't afford 2002 though). if a car doesn't have leather then i still might consider it, but it will have to be a pretty good deal ;) anyone know what it would cost to get a full-leather refurbishment done...? i have no idea.... hehe my '96 iS just sold today so i am a serious buyer :)

My mums old 330 motor sport came from japan with leather done, cost around $4000 kiwi we worked out, still worth it, i can get pics for you tomorrow for the cars, the 330 i is $30 000 and it 330 motor sport is $32 000, my choice would be pay the extra 2k for the motor sport...

My mums old 330 motor sport came from japan with leather done, cost around $4000 kiwi we worked out, still worth it, i can get pics for you tomorrow for the cars, the 330 i is $30 000 and it 330 motor sport is $32 000, my choice would be pay the extra 2k for the motor sport...

thanks for the info but same as last offer really, i can't afford 30K, which is why i think i'm limited to a 320 or maybe a 325, you can get a 320 privately for just under 20K with extras.

thanks for the info but same as last offer really, i can't afford 30K, which is why i think i'm limited to a 320 or maybe a 325, you can get a 320 privately for just under 20K with extras.

my dad does have a e46 320, heres the link http://www.kendobsonmotors.co.nz/compact.php its 5th one down, its real mint, have a look Edited by bmw_beau

anyone know what it would cost to get a full-leather refurbishment done...? i have no idea....

RETRO VEHICLE ENHANCEMENT LTD

27 MacKelvie Grey Lynn

PO Box 78117 Grey Lynn Auckland

NEW ZEALAND......................................... +64 +9 376 4442

Freephone: 0800 RETRO 4U (0800 738 764)

Phone: +64 +9 376 4442

Fax: +64 +9 376 6267

had the whole car done (330i) for about $2500, turned out far better qaulity than the factory bmw leather. Its one upgrade everyone should look into.

Hi

I am selling a 2001 E46 with the updated 2.2 l motor. It is silver but not leather. The kms are higher at 114,000 but priced accordingly. Have been trying to get $20k with a lot of interest but no one offering $. Happy to negiotiate lower to move the car as I need the garage space for a 545 :) Genuine car as I imported it myself for the wife. She now has a Jeep Wrangler so surplus to requirements. The car is a lovely ride with no problems.

Check out ...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.as...900&ed=true

Regards

Ron

post-33-1168124966_thumb.jpg

post-33-1168124872_thumb.jpg