Sign in to follow this  
Docile

cam chain rattling

hey guys, my car has travelled 200+ks and was wondering if cam chain rattling is normal on da m50 engine? it often happens on acceleration. do they need replacement? or adjustments?

Someone more expereienced please correct me if I am wrong.

M50 (and M52) run on cam chain, unless the gear have missing tooth or the chain has stretched somehow then it's the cam chain tensioner that's getting old.

Cam chains usually rattle when you build up the revs [with no load on the engine]

This symptom sounds like a VANOS death rattle [what year E36?] if it is a vanos M50, try unplugging the solenoid to see if it goes away [the engine will be gutless at the top end]

the chain rattles at higher rpms.... my car is a 95.. ive only heard it on no load revving not on da streets yet.. i dont have any experience with chains as ive had vtecs before..

do they ever need servicing? ive heard they can last for ages, im just making sure what are the signs of wear on em

Edited by Docile

Your Car is a VANOS, the chains and tensioners are quite reliable . the VANOS units are notorious for rattling [the yanks describe it as "marbles in a tin can"] usually from 2500rpm-up under load. Whereas chains rattle at a 'held' rpm without load. Unplug the solenoid and try it!