Sign in to follow this  
318Touring

Comments on BMW 5 series (E39)

Yup, collecting it tomorrow. I'll get some pics taken, however the weather looks preety bad for taking car pics.

Well done Daniel, im sure you will enjoy her. Ive been told that the 528 is a good mix cant wait to see it in person :)

nice choice - should have a bit more go than your 318 eh! have fun with it, and bring it to some random meet if/when 1 is organised! :D

Here it is at last.

I can't get better pictures as we all know that it'd been quite wet all day yesterday. I just managed a quick snap outside the garage which the car barely fits.

Impressions:

very nice, very composed. Takes bumps, road irregularities like they weren't there. The cruise control is a godsend especially with the "anytime, anywhere" crap. It's better than GS300 or E240 (previous model) I'd had driven before. It's happy to be thrown around like a sport car, but in style and comfort. Love the beige leather, but will be a hell to keep clean.

First mod? Rubber floor mats!!!

When arranging insurance for the car I was told that because of this is a high risk car, my excess is therefore going to be $1000 (from $300). I told them (State) bluntly that either I keep my excess or I'll take all my business elsewhere. Obviously they suddenly said that $300 is OK. Bastards.

Posted Image

Edited by 318Touring

Hoo-ahh! Nice wheels man.

Hopefully this Easter weekend you have a chance to take it for a proper drive.

BTW my leather interior desn't seem to show any wear / stains. Then again I don't have any kids!

Way to go with the insurance company. 5er high risk??

my leather interior doesn't show any stains.

shadow, do you ofen find yourself in the situation where you have the risk of getting stains on your seats??? uhhh dodgy! hehehe

that is a very sexy looking car - looks better in that photo than it did in the ones you posted from their web site.

Hoo-ahh! Nice wheels man.

Hopefully this Easter weekend you have a chance to take it for a proper drive.

that is a very sexy looking car - looks better in that photo than it did in the ones you posted from their web site.

Thank you. Since nothing opens anyway, long drives are in the book for this weekend.

BTW my leather interior desn't seem to show any wear / stains. Then again I don't have any kids!

Stain should be manageable, however wear on BMW leather is another matter. I think it also depends on care and maintenance on the leather. My driver's seat doesn't look like somebody had been sitting on it for 90,000 odd kms. While if you go through Tory's inventory, a 30,000 kms example is showing cracking, stain on the leather.

Yours black isn't it?

Way to go with the insurance company. 5er high risk??

All BMWs. They said more expensive to repair. It's just their way trying to squirm out of responsibility while taking our money.

Edited by 318Touring

Guest Andrew

Very awesome - I love that color so much.

Just get some nice leather cleaner and protector - It should have been done before you picked up the car.

Parts for BMWs aren't really that bad. Things like door panels etc. are often cheaper than less exotic sports cars (the parts prices for my 200SX were unreal). It depends on whether 'original' BMW parts are used. Generic windscreens etc save insurance companies heaps.

The biggest single cause of wear on leather as far as I know is the sun. Much harsher than sitting on ... even a big fat b@stard.

Yeah my interior is black.

post-2-1081473442.jpg

Looks awesome Daniel, good work.

I look forward to seeing it in person!!

I presume it has recirculating ball steering as per 540i's etc...

How do you find it compared to the rack 'n' pinion from the 318??

Response, vagueness!?!?!?!

When arranging insurance for the car I was told that because of this is a high risk car, my excess is therefore going to be $1000 (from $300). I told them (State) bluntly that either I keep my excess or I'll take all my business elsewhere. Obviously they suddenly said that $300 is OK. Bastards.

Lucky bugger.... my excess is still huge with state, even though my parents and family now have 5 cars + house with them.

Funily enough the only high risk car they quoted me out of my list of potential cars was the 25GTT skyline, all the other turbos and BMW's they said were low risk. Gotta hate being under 25 :unsure:

I pay 1200 a year, 1500 excess, and 4500 excess for theft.

Im with National Autoclub

Oh yeah and im 20 and ive had my full for..maybe 2 years? I forget.

But yeah, its tough being young.

It does not have recirculating ...

Generic windscreens etc save insurance companies heaps.

State changed my 318's windscreen with original bmw screen, I think they were billed for about $300 (I saw the invoice).

I really need to get rubber floor mats as with the current weather condition my light colour interior is getting filthy really quick.

More pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

That is an absolutely stunning color. I hope to do a cruise up north at some stage for something (see how things go) but it would be great to see half of these cars in the flesh.

Great purchase

You could see my car, and we can then decide which of the 2 cars is ..stocker

hahah

My Black Mtec 325 will beat your Black Mtec 325!

My Black Mtec 325 will beat your Black Mtec 325!

Thats only because I'm not going to upgrade any parts on the E36, probably not even the rims. Saving it all for the E30 project and keeping the daily driver stock since its already stunning to drive :)

Looks awesome Daniel, good work.

I look forward to seeing it in person!!

How do you find it compared to the rack 'n' pinion from the 318??

Response, vagueness!?!?!?!

Yo Yo as dan said the 528 has got a rack ^_^

I pay 1200 a year, 1500 excess, and 4500 excess for theft.

Well, after seeing that, I think I'll shut up now 

Darn, my premium is around $3500 and excess is also around there ... can't remember exact value. And i got told that it will go up by a bit more for the new car ... ! :angry: And it's with National Auto Club :wacko:

And i have no insurance at all for dad's car .. but his excess is 1% of the car ... $2500 .. I've never asked him his premium tho ...

Darn, my premium is around $3500 and excess is also around there

Ouch, that hurts! Mine is only approx. $500/yr (I'm not THAT old!), and excess still $300. With that kind of excess ($3500) is not worth claim any fender-bender type accidents, is it?

but his excess is 1% of the car ... $2500

I was also told by State that there's this 1%($380) excess policy, which is still a way off from $1000. The call-centre woman stammered when I told her that 1% equates to $380 and not $1000.

Theres a reason for the excess - it IS to cover the majority of little accidents which make up most 'cost'.

Plus the point of insurance is so you dont get financially owned by an accident you cant afford.

3500 is a pain if you gotta pay it, but hitting a merc and paying 200,000 is a different story right?

They dont want to pay for your silly scratches and bent things. Just the big stuff which happens more rarely.

Theres a reason for the excess - it IS to cover the majority of little accidents which make up most 'cost'.

Hmmm, with today's costs it is fairly easy to run a large bill on panelbeating (certainly more than $300!!).

For example, my '86 Suzuki Alto was hit from behind. Caused a large dent on the boot, the metal on the spare tyre area had rippled a little bit, broken (a small area) plastic bumper. Nothing else broken, so no new lights etc. Total bill came at $800 + GST!!! The other party paid for it.

How about $1500 on a failed or slightly dodgy heater block (they still arent too sure) in my E36. Go the mech insurance :-)

you want to make sure you get the mech warranty to pay out on your coil packs - 4 of mine bunged out - that cost f**k loads for the warranty!!!

And try this - at 240km/h (in controlled conditions - the open road!) have one of your fan belt idlers seize on you - everything it hits when i comes off it f**ks, and i mean by that powersteering pump, alternator, radiator, viscous fan (that alone is 1g - they didnt realise the fan was bung at the time - that lost 2 fins a week later - and the whole car shook while idling) and various other things like belts etc - in total it cost the warranty company $2000 - money i didnt have to spend!

also - did you know - a wheel bearing is covered by warrantys - i didnt know that - my mechanic hit em up and they said theyll pay!! :D

Best $800 i ever spent :D