Sign in to follow this  
arcon

window trim, chrome Vs rubber

bizzare, oddball question here: the rubber trim around the windows of an E46 318, (unlike 320+, 5 & 7 series etc which have chrome trim like the pic), is it possible to get the rubber trim replaced with chrome trim identical to the other models? if so who would do it?

Posted Image

bizzare, oddball question here: the rubber trim around the windows of an E46 318, (unlike 320+, 5 & 7 series etc which have chrome trim like the pic), is it possible to get the rubber trim replaced with chrome trim identical to the other models? if so who would do it?

Posted Image

Well, it depends, if you want it done properly you would take it to Jerry Clayton to get them to do it with the original parts, which as far as I know they can do, and ofcourse it would cost a fortune being a genuine BMW part, but i'm sure there are aftermarket parts around that would be just as good. Only trouble is finding them. Ebay i guess

Hey,

The parts your looking for are the window trim.

DES Side Type Q Part Number

MOULDING LEFT CHROM 1 51138208501

MOULDING RIGHT CHROM 1 51138208502

Price is around 140 US list ... your looking at about 400 NZ for the pair id say.

Give keith at Jerry Claytons a phone as suggested above ..

Wairau Valley BMW Parts Trade Centre

Phone +649 4438877

Freephone 0800 500 540

Fax +649 4438860

Hey,

The parts your looking for are the window trim.

DES Side Type Q Part Number

MOULDING LEFT CHROM 1 51138208501

MOULDING RIGHT CHROM 1 51138208502

thanks for that info, i actually saw a 320i up close today (heh first drive of an E46), i found out the chrome i was talking about isn't actually trim so much as a U-shaped lip, maybe so water from roof runoff doesn't go down windows...? i thought it was a pretty weird and and tacky feature.... seems odd to have a place where water and dirt could collect like that....? having said that, the 318 with its huge amount of rubber moulding isn't exactly good under the sun.... exterior build quality is quite important to me so are there any bmw models (after 2000) that have better window joinery?