Sign in to follow this  
yalden

My performance mods...

Curent performance mods carried out on my M52... from 193bhp to 250bhp.

Enlarged throttle body conversion

Demeshed AFM

Viper 2 custom remap

Fan delete kit (running Wetter Water)

M50 inlet manifold conversion

(Pic = old vs new)

Posted Image

Gruppe M induction kit

Posted Image

Supersprint race exhaust system

Posted Image

Supersprint race connection pipes & Supersprint decat

Posted Image

Posted Image

Eurosport lightweight pulleys

Posted Image

Posted Image

NEXT:- US 3.0 M3 cams

Any further suggestions are welcome, I'm hoping to get as much as I can from the M52 without ind. TB's or FI!

Very nice - its basically a USM3 engine now isn't it.

Claimed power output of higher than one, but still missing 200cc.

Would be great if you had a dyno sheet! coz if you're definately getting 250hp outta the M52B28 then I'm selling stuff and getting one.

TBH i really doubt your making 250hp, maby around 210-225max. Mods look good tho and are quality!

There is no way the factory cams will support 250hp imo. I really like your car tho mate, its by far one of the nicest e36s out there

Edited by drifty325i

You could be right, my assumptions are based upon plots taken from members of other forums running similar modifications. This graph was produced by an M52 running exactly the same setup as me but with the addition of some US 3.0 M3 cams.

Posted Image

There are many running identical to me with the exception of the decat and pullys and they're seeing 240bhp @ fly.

What are typical mods carried out in NZ on the M52? Do you have the facilities and parts available to derestrict them?

Hey yalden, thought your nick looked familiar. Seen your car on BFC, love it, especially the front lip. That's a nice list of mods!

You could be right, my assumptions are based upon plots taken from members of other forums running similar modifications. This graph was produced by an M52 running exactly the same setup as me but with the addition of some US 3.0 M3 cams.

Posted Image

There are many running identical to me with the exception of the decat and pullys and they're seeing 240bhp @ fly.

What are typical mods carried out in NZ on the M52? Do you have the facilities and parts available to derestrict them?

Max horsepower on that graph is 220 - it has RWHP on the right and SAE corrected (assumed) flywheel horsepower on the left [which is is saying is the max reading]

220 rwhp sounds right to me and is a pretty big gain.

Thats good power if its making that much, Not to many people have modded the m52 here

Its very expensive to work these engines here, but as you have shown there is alot of potential.

Very impressed :rolleyes:

What makes it so expensive? Is it that you can't source parts within NZ?

The M50 inlet manifold is from a 325, it needs to be modded to fit, the conversion kit is available in the UK and the supplier would most definately send to NZ if necessary! The same applies for the Enlarged Throttle Body and even the Viper 2 chip!

The M52 has more potential than most of the other lumps due to the heavy restrictions set upon it direct from BMW for taxation laws!

What makes it so expensive? Is it that you can't source parts within NZ?

The M50 inlet manifold is from a 325, it needs to be modded to fit, the conversion kit is available in the UK and the supplier would most definately send to NZ if necessary! The same applies for the Enlarged Throttle Body and even the Viper 2 chip!

The M52 has more potential than most of the other lumps due to the heavy restrictions set upon it direct from BMW for taxation laws!

The E30 still has a cult status in NZ [thats why the M52 hasn't been modded much]

When BMW built the M52B28 they didn't want a high revving animal [the M3 catered for that]

What BMW did was stroke out a 2.5 & add a 2.0 intake [to get good air velocity at lower RPM & good torque at part throttle cruising] they also altered the rear ratio [2.92] as well

M3 cams ,2.5 intake, Exhaust mods,3.42 diff would really wake up a M52 [for a street thrasher]

OK Ron.

Cams and compression ratios go together to make cylinder pressure [High overlap Cams bleed off cylinder pressure so they need higher static ratios to compensate for this] Two cams [or pairs] can have the same lift & duration but different overlap [by varying the lobe centreline or "LOBE SEPARATION"]

All M50's thru to the M3 engines have 33mm intake & 30.5mm exhaust valves

A 33mm valve at 8.25mm lift has the same area under the circumference as the total area of the valve face. Flow benches show that lifting a valve to a height 33% of the diameter of the valve gives maximum flow [in some cases higher lift causes flow to reduce,usually it stays the same]

US M3's have a 10.3mm in & 9.7mm ex. [10.89mm would be a max lift for this intake valve]

all single vanos engines have 228 degrees duration & 9.0mm lift,but on the 2.8 engine the compression was lowered to 10.2:1 and the intake was retarded 5 degrees to reduce overlap to maintain [increase] cylinder pressure.combine this with the 2.0 intake ,longer stroke,higher diff [bMW built a very torquey down low,driver friendly stump puller.]

For a hot street engine, I'd pull the head off and do a competition 3-angle valve job, deck the block [preferable] or the head to raise the compression,Then Advance the intake Cam!

You can put hotter cams in later [incidentally the non-vanos intake has 240 degress duration & 9.7mm lift which is perfect for a hot exhaust setup]

Also the latest trick Chevy setup from Comp-Cams in the states is........conical valve springs. Don't throw them out in favor of Dual springs [you want them to have low seat pressure,but high pressure "over the nose" of the cam]

Compared to an old Alfa or my Chevy these cams seem mild [but they are 4 valve] so the valves are smaller multiplied by 33% max lift means less lift is needed [pent roof or canted valves cover more area of the bore compared to 2 valve engines] because a modern 4 valve head flows so well,there isn't the need for huge duration [the main cause of piston/valve contact as well as cylinder pressure loses]

If you picked up any American cam catalog you'll notice the "advertised" duration [or at .050"] is way less than the equivalent of say 25 years ago. Why, because modern Heads & Manifolds flow more air for the set amount of timing [static compressions have come down as well]

Because you have increased the flow of your engine by using a 2.5 intake & different exhaust [dyno result attest to this] You could keep your engines static compression at 10.2:1 [the US spec S52B32 has a C/R of 10.5:1] The US engine has an intake with 10.3mm lift [256 duration] and exhaust with 9.7 lift [240 duration] from what I've read it's a bolt in conversion. Because the US M3 cams have longer duration it will open the valves earlier. I would recommend advancing the Exhaust and Retarding the Intake a couple of degrees [the dyno will help here] by increasing the "lobe separation" you'll increase top end power because of flow characteristics and increase bottom end power because of cylinder pressures retained.Closing the "lobe separation" increases Mid-range power! On Chevys,a drag engine has between 112 & 116 degrees separation, on a Dirt or Circuit engine it gets down to 105 degrees separation

Guest Spargo

The S52US engines ulitilise a conical valve train which saves around 70-80grams over the S50US setup.

Just remember when playing with advancing and retarding cams on a DOHCengines, the cam lobes are pointing down [on Ford/Chevy pushrod dinasours the lobes point up]

The lobe separation is in the order of the 4 cycle engine [the intake follows the exhaust] some DOHC engines have the cams on opposite sides