Sign in to follow this  
Jaredsc

Fuel Type

Hi I've bought a 1997 320i which is arriving from jap soon and was wondering what type of fuel it takes, sounds stupid but I had a Legacy before this and was filling it up with 91 for a month and then found out it was supposed to take 95!!

Put the best fuel you can afford in there. There's a lot of discussion on this topic here before. Summary is...

1. BMW will run fine on 91, but with less power. Could mean you use more throttle mean more fuel.

2. BMW will run well on 95/96 which is what they suppose to.

3. If you can put 98 in, you get a bit extra horsepower, engine run smoother, brah brah brah.

Guest Spargo

95/96 would be the fuel of choice.

I doubt putting 98 into it would be worthwhile.

The price difference per fill is basically negligible so why not put 98 in?

exactly, as a % the price increase isn't much really.

BP have 98 octane and you pay more for it. All other companies higher octane is 95 octane (cheaper than 98).

In fact, I have paid 10 cents more for 98 than what 91 costs, whereas 95 is usually 5 cents more then 91 (in Manawatu at least). I haven't really noticed any obvious difference in performance (or economy) between 95 and 98, but I haven't really tried to 'feel' a difference (performance-wise).

A bloke I know likes using BP 98 in his WRX - he claims his car runs better on 98 and because it produces more power (supposedly), it is actually more economical too, so it costs less to use 98 despite the higher price. I must say that I am not totally convinced about that though, but I'm not disputing such claims either - I just haven't 'tested' them all to see for myself.

Aside from all that, my old e21 ('83 323i) as well as my '94 540 are both run on the higher octane as recommenced. Although I do admit to having put 91 in my 540 on two occasions in the last 2 years with no obvious difference in power. I can't see that it'd do any real damage running on 91 in the long term though, but I'd recommend you use 95 or 98. If you are really into this sort of thing though, run a series of tests with each of the three fuels. I'd be interested to hear the results if you can be bothered (given that I am too lazy to do it myself! :rolleyes:

Paul

Price might be the same in Auckland, but in Palmerston North (and a few other areas too I think) I have paid up to 5 cents per litre more for 98 then 95/96. So it pays to take note of the prices. If they were both the same price though, I'd put in BP 98 all the time.

Paul

I usually put 95 from Challenge on College St in mine, the other day was at BP and I filled her up with 98, I'm sure I could tell the car was running quite noticeably smoother, not really faster ... afterall its only a 320 ;)

well from experience

from auck - matamata i put in 20 bucks bp98... it ran smoove ass no problem at all in the cruising speed and climbing steep roads...

from matamata - auck i put in shell 95.. suprisingly after driving a few hours on the 98 non stop i felt a little power lose... especially on the hill parts i had to press a bit further on the gas..

milage was roughly the same crusing at a bout 100 - 140..

5c extra per litre is only $3.50 on a full tank.

That's negligible to me, too. (cost of a latte) and a tank lasts two weeks or so.

Fact is, I only use 98, I normally have no idea how much the per litre price is and to honest, I don't care. I feed my car the best I can. If I wanted cheap, I'd go Jappo.

Mobil also have 98 fuel Mobil 8000. BP Ultimate is my NZ preference. Shell Optimax is better though. For some reason they haven't bought it over here.

Dyno run on 95. 163kW Dyno run on 98. 172kW

QED, it works.

post-326-1171312306_thumb.jpg

post-326-1171312765_thumb.jpg

Edited by cainchapman

That's negligible to me, too. (cost of a latte) and a tank lasts two weeks or so.

Fact is, I only use 98, I normally have no idea how much the per litre price is and to honest, I don't care. I feed my car the best I can. If I wanted cheap, I'd go Jappo.

I totally agree, put the best in and you'll get the best performance out of it.

$3.50 is nothing really, but it does add up over time. $84 a year if you fill up every 2 weeks. Thats a tank of gas. But if you see a difference and it runs smoother, more power and ofcourse looks after the engine better, I definitly think its worth it.

I've advanced the timing on my L-Jet 320 and i only ever run 98 unless i have no other option at the time, because my car pinks to much if i run 95-96.

i notice that

i can go further on a tank (depending on driving style)

my car runs smoother and doesn't pink which it does on 95

i have better acceleration and feel like i have more torque

I usually put 95 from Challenge on College St in mine, the other day was at BP and I filled her up with 98, I'm sure I could tell the car was running quite noticeably smoother, not really faster ... afterall its only a 320 ;)

In Palmerston North? Must be, "Challenge on College St"! <_<

Paul

Yip, I hadn't stopped to think how much it actually was in real terms. My tank it about 70 litres too, so like you say, that equates to just the cost of a latte. But still, I just go to whichever petrol station is convenient at the time.

P

Mobil also have 98 fuel Mobil 8000. BP Ultimate is my NZ preference. Shell Optimax is better though. For some reason they haven't bought it over here.

Dyno run on 95. 163kW Dyno run on 98. 172kW

QED, it works.

Very interesting, thanks for that. An extra 9kW, quite a difference really. If you run on 98 all the time then a bit more spark advance should be the thing to do for a bit more power as well.

P

Sorry typo there. 165kW on 95, 172kW on 98. So 7kW difference.

I have no problem spending the extra. It's worth it in the V8. Cheapest horsepower upgrade I can buy.