Sign in to follow this  
allan

instrument cluster lighting

hi! can the colour of one's dash lighting be changed. if so is it an easy exercise or does it require some re- programming. or are you stuck with what you have, the in sipped orange is beginning to get on my wick. is Jochen the man to contact on this one?any friendly advice cheers allan

I would imagine it would just be those little orange covers that make the light orange,just fiddle round with that?Maybe get some made that are clear and then spray em accordingly?

I dunno,but that's what I would have thought it would be...either that or maybe Ebay?

I think the orange is cool, you can get little cover things for the lights behind the cluster but they fade really quickly

There's some light tube that is already orange to make the dashboard light up evenly with just a few bulbs. It works by the principle similar to fibre-optics X'mas tree. You might be able to change colour by changing the colour of the bulb, but not sure how well it will work though.

hi! can the colour of one's dash lighting be changed. if so is it an easy exercise or does it require some re- programming. or are you stuck with what you have, the in sipped orange is beginning to get on my wick. is Jochen the man to contact on this one?any friendly advice cheers allan

Allan, Is this in your E39? If so I would imagine no. Very complex lighting system in them controlling a vast array of interior illumination. This orange is trademark BMW -even my old E12 has exactly the same -You don't like it? - I reacon its brilliant. As stated aftermarket variations can be obtained different earlier models but I think you are stuck with what you have in yours. Cheers Grant

Guest Spargo

Orange actually is the best for illumination and is a very low frequency so your night vision is not affected.

In the E39 the illumination is made of orange surface mount LEDs.

It you really wanted to, you could remove and dismantle each and every illuminated device, remove the orange LED, and solder in a Blue, Grenn, or other colour LED

You need to have the skills to solder surface mount components, and it would take a long, long time to do everything!

But some German guys have done this, and it is possible.

But man, is it worth the effort?

Jochen

I think the orange is great especially when driving at night, its easy on the eyes compared to the blues and greens. As everyone is saying the orange is by far the best compared to other colours ..

If the orange gets on your wick I did see someone on Trademe selling adjustable coloured plasma dials for your speedo etc ... not sure about the centre column etc if you want those changed ...

But as Jochen said .. is it really worth it?

No orange lights, Allan?

What's next ~ white dials? shudder.... :)

I was wasting time looking round new car yards last week and some bloke was trying to sell me a Ford. I escaped by retching at the white dials ~ and no leather, of course. ;)

Edited by Jazzbass