Sign in to follow this  
ipwnyou

Overheating Issue

Well, i searched the forums and found a few people with the same issue as me, but none of their fixes have solved my issue - and before I start replacing anything I thought I would check here.

Ok, so i had a leak in a hose at the back of the engine between the firewall and the engine - right where it splits for the heating. It was only a little pipe, 6cm long. It was spraying steam, so once it stopped I was investigating with my hands when it poped - all over me. So after I stopped screaming, I pulled the pipe out and replaced it with the exact same one from my spare parts car, which was in perfect condition.

Now, the car overheats within 5 - 10 minutes of driving. Here's what happens:

- Both main radiator hoses get hot at operating temp

- My heater no longer works - and the pipes running in and out of it are cold constantly.

- I opened the bleed valve on the thermastat housing, but nothing comes out, even at operating temperature

- The radiator surges up and down constantly, until it starts to get really hot and spits

- I tried running the car with the radiator cap off for a while, until the bubbles stopped comming out, but it seems that every time i have tried this after, I just get a whole new set of bubbles (continuous for about 2 - 3 minutes)

I dont know if it helps, but the radiator pipe running to the thermastat seems to get progressivly hotter, along and down the pipe from the engine end to the radiator.

Any advice would be much appreciated. So frustrating not being able to drive!

Thanks

Oh and I havent yet tried forcing the hose down the smaller radiator pipe and running it that way - it's hot right now, so I thought i'd post.

You have an air block, small hose needs a garden hose rammed up it and turned on full until system is flowing thru. Then slip it back on before all the water runs back out. Exact same symptoms I had.

I've got an old number for you from the looks - PM me new?

done..

did it just need re-bleed?? interesting to know, my problem had been fixed for sometime now..although im sure if will had heard about it, i wouldve had it fixed in no time!

All sorted - Jammed a tiny screw driver down the hole (bleed valve) and found an ass load of crap down there...once it opened up it started flowing...that combined with the bleed valve on the top of the radiator fixed it proper! It runs cooler than before now...weird!

Thanks (again) will!

Edited by ipwnyou

All sorted - Jammed a tiny screw driver down the hole (bleed valve) and found an ass load of crap down there...once it opened up it started flowing...that combined with the bleed valve on the top of the radiator fixed it proper! It runs cooler than before now...weird!

Thanks (again) will!

Told you it was easy! Also, you may have damaged the thermostat with the overheating as I said, just keep an eye on it.

Gareth, are you coming up north for the meet??? Comeon, no excuses now, car not overheating any more.. ;)

Will

Yeah Gareth, You now owe Will a Beer!

I owe, I owe, So it's off to Will's I go!

christ kerry singing nursery rhymes...now thats a scary thought!

christ kerry singing nursery rhymes...now thats a scary thought!

see what you and Andy did to the poor old fella last time down in Tauranga..!!!! :wacko:

Hope its not permanent..

Will

Might make it up - depends if i'm in Brasil for work that weekend or not. It's also my Birthday that weekend :D

Might make it up - depends if i'm in Brasil for work that weekend or not. It's also my Birthday that weekend :D

Gareth, stuff Brazil, bring your body up here birthday boy.. it will be one to remember!!

Will

Hey what I do on ALL my cars after having the cooling system drained is thoroughly bleed the system by filling the system with coolant from selected hoses. Yip, I slowly fill it up bit by bit working from a low point and working my way up. I select which hoses to fill from and in what order based on commonsense that air rises to the top. If done correctly, this works every time. It's way better than using the car's bleeder nipple and I never have to wait for the thermostat to open to bleed any air out.

I have had the same issue as descrined here with other cars in my motor trade days in the '80s, so I developed this technique myself to overcome the problem. Of course, it can be a bit tricky filling from smaller hoses, so just go for the large ones as much as possible. Heater radiators in particular on some cars can be quite a problem to bleed so the technique I use sorts that one out every time.

Cheers

Paul