Sign in to follow this  
bruceda

E46 audio problems

Hi people

I have just replaced the really average E46 business cassette head unit with a clarion single cd head unit. The problem I am having is a bit weird (well to me anyway). The radio works fine, all 4 speakers are confirmed as working using the balance and fader but cd and aux won't work. At first I thought the headunit might be shagged but to confirm it was working I have touched the -ve and +ve of one speaker output from the headunit to the appropriate parts of a headphone jack and I was able to head the cd audio. So basically for some reason what ever happens between the output of the headunit and the speakers does not like the what the headunit is spitting out.

I have used an adapter loom spliced into the OEM loom that came with the head unit.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Damian

Update --> I think I might have it sorted out, well at least what I am reading makes sense that is. I checked out e46fanatics and found a post about a similar topic. What had happened was the person had wired the power antenna output to the amp remote trigger (both use a blue wire in standardised looms), so... radio on, powers "antenna" but actually powers factory amp, speakers work, change to cd, power no longer supplied to antenna, amp goes dead, so do speakers. I had no idea the car had a factory amp so I would not have thought ot this.

The worst part is the adapter loom is labelled "Power Antenna" on the wire in question as well. I did think it was odd supplying power to an aerial that does not retract but the whole audio system in the E46 is weird so I went with it. I am way to shitty to pull the car to bits again today so I will do it tomorrow and post the results, maybe I'll save someone else from the same problems.

Edited by Bruceda

What you thought was an antenna power lead actually has 2 functions:

1. Powers the antenna amplifier in the rear window.

This is also an antenna diversity controler, which switches between the 3 x FM antennas in your car, and amplifiers the received signal

You loose the antenna diversity effect with an aftermarket head unit, so FM reception will decrease

2. Switches on the factory amp. The amp is located in the boot and powers all the speakers.

Your headunit is sending a signal to the amp

You may find you'll overdrive the amp if you have your headunit too loud (depending on the output power of your headunit) so be careful.

The wire you want to use to control the amp/antenna ampflifier is the "remote amp power on" lead out of your head unit.

Jochen

Hi

Well, I can confirm that the problem was as described and the new headunit is now in and working. I guess it's something new I have learned and hopefully this thread might stop someone else striking the same problem I did.

Thanks Jochen for your reply.

Damian