Sign in to follow this  
arcon

clear indicator lights upgrade

has anybody bought these off trademe:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...on-86686547.htm

the part about "all items at the risk of purchaser" sounds a bit dodge.... are there other sources of clear lights available (hehe pref not BMW directly ;) ), my next 3 series will likely come with icky orange indicators....

i'll also probly get the M3 mirrors:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...on-86367259.htm

Dude, its a mission trying to find decent clears without having to buy off a stealer.. I'mm still stuck with my orange gaybo lights... Although i have got an e36.. not e46

Edited by alex

It says "All items at the risk of the Purchaser once they are sent" which means if they get damaged or lost during delivery.

Just had a quick look through his feedback and looks pretty good.

I was going to get some Angel Eyes for my Dads car and he was very helpful and answered all his questions fully.

Recomended

As far as I know, all his stock comes from Australia because I asked to veiw them but he said that they all got shipped from Oz when they were paid for.

Edited by Nick021

thanks for the info - i'd imagine i'd have to get an auto-electric to install them which would probly cost an hours labour but still worth it methinks...

The rear and side repeaters wouldn't be a problem, I don't know about the headlights, they're probably easy enough. But if you're gonna get someone to fit them do the back and side yourself and save and hour or twos labour.

how much does a set of clears cost from the dealer?

lol - from bmw? don't know but i'm guessing anywhere from $1000-2000.

I can recommend this seller too. A mate got some lights but ended up ordering the wrong set. He swapped them no questions asked and was really helpful along the way.

As for fitting, Id say an absolute beginner with no experience should be able to fit them in under an hour....they really are that simple. Although I have only done e30's, e32's and e38's Im guessing the e46's are the same.

As for fitting, Id say an absolute beginner with no experience should be able to fit them in under an hour....they really are that simple. Although I have only done e30's, e32's and e38's Im guessing the e46's are the same.

yeah e36 lights are piss easy to do, so e46s should be the same just try not to break the clip off the headlight like i did :( dont pay anyone learn about your car and DIY!!!

has anybody bought these off trademe:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...on-86686547.htm

the part about "all items at the risk of purchaser" sounds a bit dodge.... are there other sources of clear lights available (hehe pref not BMW directly ;) ), my next 3 series will likely come with icky orange indicators....

i'll also probly get the M3 mirrors:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...on-86367259.htm

good point, i bought me self a set of clear side blinkers from trademe

they said it wss for BMW 323i and will fit if it was below 1997 which it was.

unfortuntely when i got it. it wasnt the right size or the correct one. waste of my money

n e ways

did you buy for the correct chassis? (sedan/coupe), heh sorry if dumb question, but so many ppl have left good feedback i'll probably still try it, will post if it goes bad though ;)

FYI, a full set of clears costs $600+ at the dealer.

There are 2 types of clears, one for cars with OBC, one for cars without. For cars with OBC, there will be 8 pins on the connector, for cars without, 7 pins.

After that it's just down to whether your car is a sedan or coupe. In which case the tail lights and front corners will be different.

Then, if you're pre-97, you'll have the older style sidemarkers with the black plastic border (tails and corners remain the same). Post-97 will be the smaller newer type.

There are 2 types of clears, one for cars with OBC, one for cars without. For cars with OBC, there will be 8 pins on the connector, for cars without, 7 pins.

hmm not a bad dealer price... wouldn't include installation i'm guessing ;) ..erm... what's obc? how would i know if my car/the clears on trademe have it? :)

hmm not a bad dealer price... wouldn't include installation i'm guessing ;) ..erm... what's obc? how would i know if my car/the clears on trademe have it? :)

No, not including installation - but installation is really simple so you can do it yourself :) Pop 4 nuts off each tail light and pull, 1 screw off each sidemarker (if it's the old ones which I have), and slide it off and pull. For front corners, remove the bulb connectors, then pry the clip to give you enough room, and pull.

OBC is the onboard computer, also known as check control. The thing right above the sunglass holder in your E36. A simple way to see what tail lights you need is to go to your tail lights, pull the connector off, and see how many pins it has. Basically the replacement tail light should have the same amount of pins.

The aftermarket clears commonly sold on TradeMe would probably have instructions for you to cut a bridge on the tails if your car does/does not have OBC. At least that's the case with the ones I've seen, they are quite universal. However do note aftermarket front corners are more crystal looking, they look cheap (I have a pair). I fixed mine by smoking them with VHT NiteShade.

ok - i have the aftermarket M3 mirrors painted and installed. a word of warning, they look awesome if painted right, but being taiwanese parts have issues. my right lens wobbles as i drive, its really annoying and i don't know how to fix it... another minor issue with the wiring, when moving them left they go right and vice versa, controls are reversed for some reason... that doesn't bother me at all though, overall the mirrors look cool its just that wobble. goddammit.

i will definitely get a clear light kit from BMW and avoid after market parts in future.

Oooh, pics?

heheh yep i'll be doing a photo shoot once i have the clears installed as well. looks mint in oriental blue with the M3 mags (probably replicas? but still look cool).