Sign in to follow this  
rowanhol

e34 535 radiator leak

Hey my radiator is leaking where the plastic tanks are joined, can i use a radiator stop leak such as the stp stuff? or is there anyway it can be repaired? or does anyone have a radiator for sale? hmmm im in chch by the way

cheers

only use stop leak in an emergency.I beleive the radiators can be recored.....Check out a radiator place.If you need a new one check out some overseas prices,i beleive a genuine one is about a thousand,and a new one through a radiator place will be about 600,check out BMA in the US even with shipping....if you want some E34 info here acouple of fantastic sites

E 34 5 series(mainly)

E34.net

while i m at it

BMA for parts(in the US)

if you go to BMA say you learned about them though the Bimmer dot info site,i think you get a few percent off.....

Hmm yeah i dont think it needs to be recored though, supposedly its a newish radiator according to previous owner. its just leaking really badly where the side tank joins to the main part of the radiator. have you heard of them being repaired by anyone? might have to do a home job on it haha.

Forgot to mention that before the radiator burst a leak that one of the hoses was leaking so tightened the hose clamp and solved that problem but then the radiator started giving me issues.. is it possible that there is a blockage somwhere causing pressure to build up and find its way out?? if so how do I find the problem?

Hey my radiator is leaking where the plastic tanks are joined, can i use a radiator stop leak such as the stp stuff? or is there anyway it can be repaired? or does anyone have a radiator for sale? hmmm im in chch by the way

cheers

A round moulded bit near the top of the left-side tank (it's plastic too) is leaking on my 540. A very slow and intermittent leak though. I first noticed it while on holiday in Christchurch about 4 weeks ago and made it back to Palmerston North no problem, and I drove it up to Taupo and back for A1GP after that as well. Been ok, just kept an eye on it and topped it up when required - it even made it over the Arthur's Pass no problem without having to stop to top up on the way.

I keep some water in the boot just in case, until I get time to have it fixed.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the fix is, but DON'T use Stop Leak stuff! Get it fixed properly. Stop Leak is for emergencies only. In fact, I'm not sure if it actually works on plastic, but it might.

I'm going to take mine into a radiator shop when I get time to show them and see what they say, then I'll take it out myself and have them repair it (or replace the tank if that is the only satisfactory solution). These sorts of repairs don't tend to cost very much.

Paul

Hmm yeah i dont think it needs to be recored though, supposedly its a newish radiator according to previous owner. its just leaking really badly where the side tank joins to the main part of the radiator. have you heard of them being repaired by anyone? might have to do a home job on it haha.

Forgot to mention that before the radiator burst a leak that one of the hoses was leaking so tightened the hose clamp and solved that problem but then the radiator started giving me issues.. is it possible that there is a blockage somwhere causing pressure to build up and find its way out?? if so how do I find the problem?

OK. Sounds to me like it might just be the seal. That's easy and cheap to fix - they take the tank off, put a new seal in and then put the tank back on, pressure test and then you're back in business. It'd make sense to have the whole thing cleaned out while they're at it too - remove both tanks and physically clean any crap out and put new seals in at both ends). No big drama.

Paul