Sign in to follow this  
330itis

New diff doesnt fit!! WTF!!

Yes i know.. another post about diffs sorry but I really need help on this one guys.

So i blew the 4.44 diff in my E36 and baught a 3.73 from tauranga BUUUT... this thing is huge! it wont fit. its 30mm longer but I sorted that out with a shorter drive shaft BUUT the diff is also WIDER by 20mm... meaning my half shafts are too long. I could squeze it in but thats just stupid coz it will munch up the cvz by the time i get out of the drive.

Its exactly 20mm fron the face of the out put shafts.

Help me out here.. is there such thing as a large case e36 diff??

And do I need shorter half shafts? If so is there annyone that can hook me up with some really cheap ones as I am out of cash and need the car on the road.

Also the drive shaft im using is off a Ti and its smaler in diameter. but it sounds thicker. will it be sweet?

Thanks!!

318's and some 320's like mine used the smaller diff

sounds like you've got a 328 auto diff [try & get the correct axles & D/shaft, you'll be much better off]

I've got the correct auto shaft if needed [$50 ,if it don't fit you dont have to buy]

one question ,Do the cv's bolt up? If they do get 2 spacers machined up & use longer bolts [grade 12 cap screws]

318's and some 320's like mine used the smaller diff

sounds like you've got a 328 auto diff [try & get the correct axles & D/shaft, you'll be much better off]

I've got the correct auto shaft if needed [$50 ,if it don't fit you dont have to buy]

one question ,Do the cv's bolt up? If they do get 2 spacers machined up & use longer bolts [grade 12 cap screws]

Ah mint thanks for the info! :) I would buy that drive shaft straight up but Im in Auckland wich is a shame. What diameter is the shaft and how long is it form eye to eye?

Spacers will do me the oposite effect as my half shafts are too long. I need to shorten them not lengthen them. this dam diff is bloody wide and I cant squeze the diff in between the two shafts. I think I might have to get hold of some shorter shafts.

Cheers!

anyone second this?