Sign in to follow this  
AYB280

Sticking Hydraulic Lifters M40

Noticed a ticking sound coming from somewhere in the motor (E36 318i M40), went to the mechanics and they said it was most likely sticking hydraulic lifters. They then said it would be realativley cheap to fix, unitl BMW quoted them at $60 each. And there are 8 of them. Changed and flushed oil, now it only ticks when warming up, is fine once at normal temp. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? and whether I should just ignore it, or replace all 8, or replace only the three that are ticking (apparently the others that I dont replace can start ticking too?)?

How did you diagnose that it was 3 lifters? i had a ticking noise which i got sick of in my M40 so i had them all replaced by BMW, fixed it perfectly.

How did you diagnose that it was 3 lifters? i had a ticking noise which i got sick of in my M40 so i had them all replaced by BMW, fixed it perfectly.

Mechanic had another look at it and said it was only three. Not too sure how he figured that out, he didnt take anything off. How much did the whole job cost you? Im on a fairly tight budget, so I may just have to cross my fingers and leave them ticking.

$478.14 Jerry clayton BMW is what i see in my email, Thats with parts discounted at 25% (i think) and labour full price. BMW use a special tool to remove them, so it is possible that a normal mechanic may take longer, but probably still cheaper

$478.14 Jerry clayton BMW is what i see in my email, Thats with parts discounted at 25% (i think) and labour full price. BMW use a special tool to remove them, so it is possible that a normal mechanic may take longer, but probably still cheaper

Nath, I can tell you your discount was 30% for one lot of parts and 35% for the other ;)

Intermittant oil changes are the most common cause of sticky lifters. I would just live with it unless it gets really bad. Can't damage the motor, you will just lose power if the clearances become excessive. (and get pssed off with the racket.. :wacko: )

If you remove them and soak them in a very strong solvent that removes varnishes etc, you will probably correct the problem.

To determine which ones are ticking, use a mechanics stethescope, or a screwdriver pressed into your ear, and move along the cover, you will quickly hear which ones are noisy.

Will