Sign in to follow this  
kiwipetrolhead

Oil Filters

I once got quoted about $70 retail for a FRAM oil filter for my 540i from SuperCheap. So my mate in the trade got it for me from Repco - at trade price it cost about $20 when they had a sale on. The time before that, he got one for me at trade price from Repco for about $40 (if I recall correctly). The other day I was in BMW and I mentioned the high price of oil filters for my 540i. They were rather puzzled and said a BMW one would cost me $19.95 (normal retail price I presume). They went on to say that they are generally lots cheaper for all servicing type parts, including brake pads. They also said if I get a price elsewhere, they will better it anyway.

Goes to show, genuine parts might be the best, but sometimes they are also the cheapest.

I will test their claims as time goes on, but would like to hear if others have found the same thing.

BTW, this is from Jeff Gray (Palmerston North). They are also the BMW dealers in Hawkes Bay and now Wellington as well (previously Shelly BMW down there).

Anyway, be aware that SuperCheap are not always Super Cheap! (Although they were cheaper than Repco for a car Radio/MP3 player I bought recently).

P

I had parts to buy and Shelley's weren't so great so I actually ordered parts through Jeff Gray in Palmy and they sent them down to me, worked out better, I hear now that the Wellington Jeff Gray outfit has turned over some staff and their service is getting better.

I had parts to buy and Shelley's weren't so great so I actually ordered parts through Jeff Gray in Palmy and they sent them down to me, worked out better, I hear now that the Wellington Jeff Gray outfit has turned over some staff and their service is getting better.

Yip, I find Jeff Gray really good to deal with so things should improve in WN. Well, the lady in the PN parts department, Sue Nielsen, is really good. The one gripe I have had with them though was when I took my old e21 in to have them replace ALL the water hoses about 7 years ago. They replaced most of them, but the next day (a Saturday) we headed off to Hawkes Bay, but we only made it to Dannevirke when I noticed the temp gauge in the red. It turned out that a small diameter hose was leaking badly. When I took it off the end crumbled away - it was no new hose that's for sure, and it was one that was easy to get to too.

When on the cell phone to the Service Manager of the time all he said was, "What's the big issue, it's only a small hose!" Yes and it was also the probably cause for the cracked head. Anyway, someone stopped to help us and he had a knife so I cut the hose back and put it back on, but the cut-back end was still really bad so we carefully limped back home and got the other car out to start our trip over again. All this put us back over 3 hours. Other than that though, I've found Jeff Gray very good.

Someone at work said to me, "I thought if you can afford to own a BMW then you can afford to own a brand new one." In other words, he, like so many others, think that BMWs are expensive to run. I'm not rich yet I can afford to run two of them no problem. Much cheaper than Subaru and some others, that's for sure.

BTW, I understand that Jeff Gray himself (he lives in HB) has an immaculate 2002, a yellow one I think.

P

I once got quoted about $70 retail for a FRAM oil filter for my 540i from SuperCheap. So my mate in the trade got it for me from Repco - at trade price it cost about $20 when they had a sale on. The time before that, he got one for me at trade price from Repco for about $40 (if I recall correctly). The other day I was in BMW and I mentioned the high price of oil filters for my 540i. They were rather puzzled and said a BMW one would cost me $19.95 (normal retail price I presume). They went on to say that they are generally lots cheaper for all servicing type parts, including brake pads. They also said if I get a price elsewhere, they will better it anyway.

Goes to show, genuine parts might be the best, but sometimes they are also the cheapest.

I will test their claims as time goes on, but would like to hear if others have found the same thing.

BTW, this is from Jeff Gray (Palmerston North). They are also the BMW dealers in Hawkes Bay and now Wellington as well (previously Shelly BMW down there).

Anyway, be aware that SuperCheap are not always Super Cheap! (Although they were cheaper than Repco for a car Radio/MP3 player I bought recently).

P

Yes genuine often more competative - They had cartridge oil filters last month for $9.95 trade covering most applications, E38/39 air con micro filters also cheaper than aftermarket as with a lot of brake pads.

i jsut bought one from parts master and it cost me 25 dollars including a 15% discount... but it is the cartridge for an m50 engine though...

Edited by Docile

woluldnt really agree with you guys

got a quote from jeff gray hastings to replace my cam shaft and all the bits associated with it.

took the list they gave me to bnt, and got all the parts for nearly half price than on jeff grays quote.

woluldnt really agree with you guys

got a quote from jeff gray hastings to replace my cam shaft and all the bits associated with it.

took the list they gave me to bnt, and got all the parts for nearly half price than on jeff grays quote.

As I said -OFTEN more competitive, not always. I always check genuine first & then do a comparison if I suspect I can buy substantially better elsewhere. If realitivly competitive then genuine certainly way to go

Gavin at Euro-Italian suppiled my Vaico e30 m20 filter for a tidy $18.80 all up [included a 10% disc. for whatever reason].

Recommend you give him a call for ANY part, quite reasonable.

444-9817 [North Harbour]

for price comparison sake... I recently bought an Air Filter for E46

Supercheap Auto - $26 (with a 20% disc coupon) for FRAM Air Filter

Jeff Gray BMW Wellington - $52 for BMW/OEM MAHLE Air Filter

Edited by lufu

Gavin at euro italian has had the lowest prices for every part I've compared. That and you get some chocolate :D

And yeah, Jeff Gray owned a yellow 2002, not sure if he still does. He's a friend of the families and a really, really good guy. Last time I saw him (a few years back now..) I think he was in an X5.