Sign in to follow this  
nz320i

pocket pc

Hi all, i would like experienced owners to tell me what they think of their pdas as im looking at a ipaq 6365, a nokia e61 and other ipaqs, kinda want windows rather than sybian? and need wifi.

also looking at the ipaq which is the MMC model and sits horizontally rx 4245 i think?

Kinda want wifi, gps, phone which the ipaq 6365 has, does anyone own/had one?

Kinda want wifi, gps, phone which the ipaq 6365 has, does anyone own/had one?

Did you mean GPRS ? I didn't think 6365 has a proper satellite-based GPS (Global Positioning System) built-in.

If you really want GPS, maybe wait for Nokia N95 but it doesn't have touch screen.

HP 6365 is quite dated now, do you mind the size of the 6365? There are smaller ones available and if you don't mind bigger size, there are some bigger (read: bulkier) units that comes with a keyboard like QTek 9100; There are little ones that is tiny (O2 Stealth) or "medium" ones like O2 Neo which don't have QWERTY heyboard built-in.

I manage a mobile phone store, so actually,

Before going into what model you want to choose, maybe I'll ask you these first...

Do you have other requirements besides the above?

What do you want to do with the PDA? Will you be mostly reading info from it or will you change/add stuff (like appointments) during the day?

Do you NEED WiFi, because if you do, you will limit yourself to only a few models.

Almost all WiFi PDAs has poor battery life especially if you use WiFi quite a bit, are you prepare for this?

dam, im looking at using wifi a bit as i want one to take overseas rather than a laptop. i want to use outlook express/email programs, wifi, possibly a phone if it has an inbuilt one, im thinking more and more than the nokia e61 would be good? although it has no camera..

also should i be looking to get windows mobile 5?

iphone.......... when it gets here :D

Edited by sakdbma

Sounds like you are not sure if you NEED a phone built-in to that PDA either.

It will be two completely different lines of products you can look at...

with WiFi

Pure PDA: Palm TX, LifeDrive, iPaq hx2000-series, etc...

Phone + PDA: Sony Ericsson P990, O2 Atom (no keyboard), O2 Neo (no keyboard), HTC Tytn (3G), Nokia N80 (no touch screen nor QWERTY keyboard), E61 (no touch screen nor camera)

Those pure PDAs all have Bluetooth, so they can team up with a Bluetooth mobile phone to do e-mail/internet with. This way you can have a cheaper/smaller mobile phone when you don't need the e-mail/internet stuff with you.

I've probably confused you with the choices, but I guess it comes down to what you ultimately want in this purchase. You can have everything one 1 piece of equipment at the expense of size and battery life or flexibility of having 2 devices with better bettery life and more portability.

Price wise, everything we talked about here are range from $685 (e61) up to $1350 (TyTn).

You are welcome to PM or e-mail me if you like.

just quickly, i think i will be buying a mobile as well if i go over to the uk, so i probably wont bother getting a pda with a phone, but id like wifi.

unsecure a/p's = free email for me etc. and something to organise stuff, store stuff etc.

HP 1950 ? it has a small processor are they any good?

just quickly, i think i will be buying a mobile as well if i go over to the uk, so i probably wont bother getting a pda with a phone, but id like wifi.

unsecure a/p's = free email for me etc. and something to organise stuff, store stuff etc.

HP 1950 ? it has a small processor are they any good?

Dont buy a phone before you get over there, get one there and sign up for a semi decent plan (20 quid a month usually) and your phone will be free :)

I have a PDA thing thats also and phone and does the whole GPS thing, they are a big waste of time I reckon, they are so stupid, unless you use most of the features they offer over a phone, which I dont, so it lives under the bed.

Don't go Windows.

Symbian is faster, more reliable and the Nokia range of Symbian phones such as the E61 can do everything if not more than a Windows PDA can.

It may have everything but you better invest in other 3 batteries, cause you'll need 4 a day ir you're a heavy user :P

meh get iphone when it comes out, im a geek with tech stuff never keep cell phones longer than a few months, can anyone relate to this!!?

Anyway i got a rather lower model HP iPaq 1950, it was wifi which i wanted and is fine! Does everything from getting my xtra mail to getting hotmail non web-based which is cool.

No blue tooth but id never use it anyway.

But cant work out how to sync to my pc which isnt a huge issue but still..

And has wicked battery life too