Sign in to follow this  
far4ngn

Mk2 Golf GTI 16v

As requested I thought I'd post some pics of my Golf...another project I'm trying to complete....

post-1056-1172559994_thumb.jpg

post-1056-1172560408_thumb.jpg

The car is a NZ New, Tornado Red 3 door Golf GTI 16V manufactured on 3rd July 1987. Its statistics are Odometer 301800km, Chassis WVWZZZ19ZHW806170, Engine KR050862, I’ve had it for around a few months and have only done around 200kms, as it only moves on weekends to have something polished or replaced!!

It came from the factory with Electric mirrors, manual window winders and no central locking in the usual Red, Grey, Black striped interior with 14†Pirelli P alloys. It drives well and pulls very strongly and has a lot of life…I think its was used more as a long haul cruiser looking at all the history I’ve managed to collect.

On the downside, I still need to replace the injectors, retrim the passenger side bolster, replace the front speakers and fill those speaker holes in the rear parcel shelf. Its has the usual dents scratches, but no rust and the small red stripe bumpers need replacing.

On the plus side its had a new cambelt around 60k ago and a new clutch, I’ve fixed all the electrical gremlins and everything now works or has been replaced with OEM items. I’ve replaced any missing pieces of trim or hard to find clips with new items. Its also had four new Pirelli tyres fitted….but the original alloys do need refurbishing.

The car has had a new ignition switch, solenoid, ignition leads, starter motor, battery, engine mount, distributor and hall sender…plus the majority of the hoses and the heater matrix replaced. This month the front rotors and pads have been replaced with VAG items and the gearshift bushes and gear stick consumable parts have been swapped out.

The small redline bumpers are in need of an overhaul, so I’m going to replace these with big bumpers and 90’s skirts/wheel arches and get the bonnet and wings resprayed to remove the gravel rash.

Over the last few months I’ve collected a few parts ready for the final makeover worth $1300 but haven’t fitted them just yet, but new stripes are on order from VW.

United Kingdom

Volksbits (NZ$)

Crystal Headlamp with crosshairs 180.00

Crystal Indicators – Big Bumper 60.00

Silvertech Bulbs x2 30.00

Chinese Door Handles – Mark III look 60.00

Wolfsburg Edition Door pins 20.00

Wolfsburg Edition Window Winders 60.00

Wolfsburg Edition Gearknob 45.00

Chrome handbrake handle 75.00

Leather gaiter and chrome trim 90.00

SWG Motorsport

Lower Grille spoiler 75.00

Awesome

Chrome 16V Badge 60.00

Ashtray gauge holders 60.00

Venom

T4 transporter vents 75.00

Short Bee Sting Aerial 30.00

Polished door openers 60.00

United States

TM Tuning

Single headlamp grille 70.00

Metal insert to grille (Spare) 24.00

Rear White/Red Crystal lights 90.00

Silvertech bulbs 40.00

Grille Spoiler - Eyebrow 70.00

At the moment the side stripes and side rubbing strips have been removed for the OEM+ look, however it means I'm having to fill the blemishes and nicks in the paint. Not sure if I can get away without a respray just yet.... what do you think?

I'm pondering whether I've got the patience to finish it all off...

To be honest I prefer my e30... I'm losing interest in trying to do this one up

Go on, put a Dimma kit on it - you know you want to :-)

Ultimate UK hot hatch for a while.

Go on, put a Dimma kit on it - you know you want to :-)

Ultimate UK hot hatch for a while.

Dimma kits were for Pug 205s.

Dimma kits were for Pug 205s.

Also for Renault 5s and Clios - thought they did vdubs too (not sure) :-)

Also for Renault 5s and Clios - thought they did vdubs too (not sure) :-)

Hmm I've never seen a VW in a Dimma Kit, not sure if it suited them really as the whole scene was about minimalism...mind you the French still go for big bodykits.

Not for me I'm afraid...

I had a test- drive of this while it was for sale- seemed a very tight car for the age and mileage, but those same miles put me off in the end. I hope you didn't pay what he was asking!

Love the iS btw. If you ever want to sell, PM me!

i had the 8V GTI version, awesome cars. If the you hear clanking noises coming from the front, and think it might be the cv's, check the brake pad clips first lol

Hope your doznt have a sunroof, mine did and the turned itself into a mobile fish tank on rainy days.

I've since bought some big OEM bumpers... but have lost interest and the car is up for sale for 3k all in. It does need some paint however.

The parts alone are around 2k worth...if I don't sell then maybe I'll get a respray.