Sign in to follow this  
Jaredsc

"Ding"!

Just got my 97 320i on thurs, I notice when you start it, it makes the typical BMW ding ding noise.

It goes away after a few seconds. Anyone know what this means? No messages being displayed or anything, just dont kno cause need to buy me a english manual off TM.......otherwise am very pleased with it :)

My GF's e36 328i coupe does the same, although its showing the yellow and red inspection light for a couple of seconds after startup even though it had oil and filter two weeks ago.

Edited by tintop

Mine did that!

I found out the my key was slow returning [holding the starter on] so I used Graphite powder in the ignition barrel

just check yours out to see if it's similar

What do you mean by that? It could be that, but if it needs a service, will either the oil service light or inspection light stay on after starting? Im not really sure what the little dashes underneath these are supposed to mean, but as I said, I need to get an english manual. Thanks for that tip though.

when the srervice lights have just been reset there is about five "green dashes" that go off one by one until after about 12000-15000 ks they have all gone out,then you have 1 yellow and 1 red then one red....after the lights are reset you go back to the 5 lights again.My e34 doent 'ding" for service but may be the later ones do.Tintop you need to reset the service lights.

isnt it just reminding you that you dont have your seatbelt on?

Edited by 328imobbin

Just got my 97 320i on thurs, I notice when you start it, it makes the typical BMW ding ding noise.

You possibly have an ex-Japan car. The ding-ding is the seatbelt reminder. A legal requirement in Japan I think.

You can confirm it by plugging in your seatbelt while it dings.

Thanks, never thought of that. Yes it does ding also when you reverse. Does the NZ new ones not do that?

Unless you get too close to something then they beep to let you know - at least my car does.

Or toooo close and they go "crunch" :unsure:

Reach up under the dash, by the steering colum and remove the dinger...

Is it that easy? My GF was getting cranky with the reverse ding as well LOL