Sign in to follow this  
freakyc

e34 auto to manual conversion - e28 parts

hey guys,

have a ZF S5-16 hanging round from an e28 520i (m20) i wrecked out a while ago.

I just sold my old e28 5spd manual today and have bought an e34 520i M50TU auto.

im thinking ill bolt on my gearbox to it coz my wife wont let us have two autos in the family - other is

a 968 tiptronic.

got a few e28 parts knocking round and the gearbox is one of them.

she liked the e28 for clutching/gearstick reasons.

and the m50tu is a evolution of the m20 unit - so does this bolt up?

ive got shaft, box, shifter, clutch slave etc just need pedal box and found one of those....will it fit?

im going to put the 95 facelift front grille etc on too - already got that sorted as well as my 17" ac scnitzys, were on the

e28. and some springs etc - but does anybody know if the e39 bonnet,lights,grille etc fit on? the cars look quite similar ;)

thanks in advance

cam

the gearbox will fit . you will need M20 starter to match that m20 flywheel .

drive shaft no use from e28 , you can get e28 front section welded up to e34 auto one . cost about $400 or so balanced etc .

gear shifter mech is to short . is it the ali sort . (hard to cut and weld ) you could buy new one from bmw .

i actually have a complete kit for sale from a 525i e34 m20 .that will bolt up no probs .

maybe i can trade some of the e28 bits .

call ah 021433600 or 2997389

cheers brent .

just converted a 1990 535i to manual in dec.

cant find my flywheel - i heard e30 one is best?

im thinking my diff ratio is 3.64 and the e28s was 4.1. the zf is an overdrive box so that would work ok - but the getrag? so do i have to change diff head to use that box?

maybe ill come and see you brent. i bought some bits for my e28 off you a while ago, and im in auckland for a couple of weeks.

when would be suitable?

cant find my flywheel - i heard e30 one is best?

im thinking my diff ratio is 3.64 and the e28s was 4.1. the zf is an overdrive box so that would work ok - but the getrag? so do i have to change diff head to use that box?

maybe ill come and see you brent. i bought some bits for my e28 off you a while ago, and im in auckland for a couple of weeks.

when would be suitable?

diff should be ok , the e28 box will be am overdrive model .

i can get you a flywheel , from a m20 525i , you could skim it down a bit .

just call me if you want to come over , home most nights . and off work monday and sunday .

monday is good for me .

021433600 09-2997389